• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How can I bond with my new rescue gp?

lialooszoo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I rescued a two year old boar Kenneth, not so long ago. Kenneth is a very very timid boy- I have never personally known a more frightened pig. He has had a very difficult past so I don't want to force him to attempt to bond with me all the time. I just want him to feel safe and loved, something he has been so deprived of all his life. Whenever I take him out for cuddles he is so frightened, he is even petrified to move, he just sits there and shakes like mad bless him. I always try to encourage him to eat leafy greens and treats but that doesn't seem to work. When it's been meal time I would just sit there outside his hutch and softly speak to him so he recognises that I'm not a threat- And that has seemed to help a lot. At first he wouldn't eat until he knew I had left and walked away- but now it's safe to say he is able to eat whilst I'm sat talking to him. I have now slowly worked my way up to hand feeding his food at meal times but it is a slow process (which I understand completely). Some days are better than others, for instance in the past I would be sat there talking and he would pluck up the courage to take food out of my hand. But other days he will take a step back and feel too afraid. We are at this point at the moment- he was doing really well but he's back to refusing to take It out my hand. Which of course isn't a huge deal at all. I have had Kenneth for 3 months and he is still so afraid bless him- it breaks my heart how frightened he is. Any advise would be amazing. But if nothing else works I will accept that this is just his personality now and I will love and protect him regardless. I just want him to feel loved and safe.

I'd do all that, chat on approaching, hand feed, spend time, limit lap time if causing stress, I think it all sounds good and it works, but just can take time. I'm guessing he has a friend he gets on with? Having a buddy helps confidence. And he has secluded areas of the hutch to get away and feel safe? I currently have my most timid piggy, got her in June, and she still lives hiding in hay and under brown paper strips. Sometimes she'll be hand fed and sometimes not. I think I'll get there with her, but not anytime soon. Good luck with Kenneth.

Hello there lialooszoo. These characteristics seem normal as I am experiencing the same exact things with my boys albeit I have only had them a week.

Do you provide floor time for him? You could possibly try floor time and sit with him inside of the area. My pigs first ate out of my hand this way.
Do you have any other pets in the house?

I'd do all that, chat on approaching, hand feed, spend time, limit lap time if causing stress, I think it all sounds good and it works, but just can take time. I'm guessing he has a friend he gets on with? Having a buddy helps confidence. And he has secluded areas of the hutch to get away and feel safe? I currently have my most timid piggy, got her in June, and she still lives hiding in hay and under brown paper strips. Sometimes she'll be hand fed and sometimes not. I think I'll get there with her, but not anytime soon. Good luck with Kenneth.
Thank you, this is amazing feed back. I am in the early stages of attempting Kenneth to bond with my older boar Bumble. They seem to be getting on, but there is a lot of dominance there still, neither one will back down, they both want to be in charge. We were told at the shelter that Kenneth was bullied by both genders and that he doesn’t get on with either, especially girls. So it’s still a work in progress. I don’t know how things will go as Bumble is blind (after math from a stroke) so I don’t want to put too much stress on Bumble. He does have secluded areas in the hutch- like your girl, Kenneth loves to hide under piles of hay! Thank you for your helpful advise, I hope bonding goes well for your and your pig!

Hello there lialooszoo. These characteristics seem normal as I am experiencing the same exact things with my boys albeit I have only had them a week.

Do you provide floor time for him? You could possibly try floor time and sit with him inside of the area. My pigs first ate out of my hand this way.
Do you have any other pets in the house?
Thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated! I do provide floor time but at the moment it is limited as I try to reduce as much stress as I can! I do have other pets, I have a dog and and a cat, which I always keep away from my guinea pigs and rabbit as I don’t want to cause them stress In any way.

I think you are doing everything right with Kenneth, give him time, he is slowly coming round isn’t he bit by bit x

With piggies who have had difficult backgrounds it can take a long time before they settle.
Phoebe took months before she stopped running and hiding whenever I approached.
Be patient.
Kenneth is in the best place with you and with love and gentleness he will eventually learn that he is safe and secure

Back