• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Can I Help Prevent Mess And Smell?

My other guinea Harold does that he goes everywhere! Even in his food dish!

Hi,
I had similar problem. Started off with fleece and spent a lot on fleece pads etc. But had to do full cage clean every day. Ended up with two loads of washing a day! I have two pairs of boys. It didn't smell like marking..
Then gave up and tried megazorb which itself stunk like poop... Then aspen etc... Stayed with aubiose for a while, but still lots of cleaning involved. Back then they were in spare bedroom, bought air filter with the special filter removing odours. Helped quite a bit.
But then one pair moved downstairs.
The smell was worse, ended up spending £20 a week just on carefresh and constantly spot cleaning, but no help...
Until!
I started putting cat litter at the bare bottom of cage, then newspaper (not always), then fleece (no extra materials, just fleece) which holds in place nicely with the cage lid. Made a large litter tray with lid, two openings where I put newspapers and hay. I converted the top of the litter tray into little snuggly area with cushions.
Now I pick poo in morning, change the litter tray and evening is full clean. I have one fleece and cushions to wash a day, half a load! NO SMELL AT ALL! With the cat litter I just scoop when needed...
My pair refused to be in a shed, preferred indoors in 120cm cage... my foster pair is now in piggy shed heaven which is big so less cleaning involved...

Back