• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do I introduce foods to my guinea pig?

Moomoothecavy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m really scared that my guinea pig, Moomoo, won’t get enough of her daily veggies and fruits. She won’t eat any I give her just pellets and hay (barely she’s new) what should I do?

Try coriander but give her a small bit to start off with. Start with a couple of bits a day then try abit of cucumber and start on that slowly with the coriander.

Then try a pepper.

She maybe abit fuzzy from though

Welcome! Does she have a friend? Guinea pigs learn what is safe to eat by watching others, my 2 newest babies didnt touch bell peppers for their entire 2 week quarantine but were happily munching away the first meal they got with my herd :)
It can also take quite a while to figure out what is food, about 18 months ago I started offering butternut squash and it took a few weeks of offering it before they actually started to eat all of it, rather than just nibbling.
Herbs are a great way to introduce fresh foods to them as they smell quite strongly, I find chopping a herb they like to eat over a new food can encourage them to have a try.

I agree with above. Having a friend is important not only for her overall health (guinea pigs shouldn’t be kept alone) but also for learning what to eat!
Remember that hay makes up 85% of their daily food intake so a along a she is eating lots and lots of hay then that is the very best thing. It’s also important to introduce only a couple of veggies at a time when they aren’t used to them so that if one upsets her tummy, then yoy you will be able to identify which veggie did it.
You mention daily veggies and fruit - just to point out, that fruit should not be fed very often as if is too high in sugar

Welcome! Does she have a friend? Guinea pigs learn what is safe to eat by watching others, my 2 newest babies didnt touch bell peppers for their entire 2 week quarantine but were happily munching away the first meal they got with my herd :)
It can also take quite a while to figure out what is food, about 18 months ago I started offering butternut squash and it took a few weeks of offering it before they actually started to eat all of it, rather than just nibbling.
Herbs are a great way to introduce fresh foods to them as they smell quite strongly, I find chopping a herb they like to eat over a new food can encourage them to have a try.
We dont have a friend for her yet I'm waiting for christmas eve to get a new one (we cant go to grandmas house for christmas so she drops the off at our house on eve) because i have no money soooo you.

Back