• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

how do i persuade my mum to use fleece? ;)

which bedding is better

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi everyone! my guinea pigs are on wood shavings at the minute but its really messy, quite expensive and its not really absorbant too. So ive seen everyones threads and posts about fleece and how good it is an all, so i would like to give it a try. ive asked my mum and she says no there okay with the bedding there on! so how do i persuade my mum to use fleece? any ideas are much apreciated! ;)

Last edited:
Hiya :)

Have you explained the potential health issues associated with wood shavings to your Mum? Perhaps you could also show her all the lovely pictures that have persuaded you!
While fleece is less messy generally, it comes with the additional chore of brushing, washing and drying after each clean out - this could put your Mum off initially but explain that it will certainly save money in the long run :)

Remember fleece will need something absorbant underneath to keep your piggies dry and comfy - personally I use a layer of newspaper, then towels, then fleece, and I keep a foraging area with just newspaper and hay, but I know everyones set up is slightly different on here. Some do use wood shavings too - as long as it's not sawdust.

Maybe you could suggest a 'trial run' of fleece to keep things fair? She might be persuaded!

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
hi everyone! my guinea pigs are on wood shavings at the minute but its really messy, quite expensive and its not really absorbant too. So ive seen everyones threads and posts about fleece and how good it is an all, so i would like to give it a try. ive asked my mum and she says no there okay with the bedding there on! so how do i persuade my mum to use fleece? any ideas are much apreciated! ;)

Fleece is so cheap. You can get them for £1.50 at Ikea, or from Primark for £3 etc etc.

My set up is a hay tub, i.e. a shallow plastic box that is low enough for them to jump in and out. Think mine is an old cat litter tray. My piggies are just babies at the moment, when their bigger I will get a bigger hay tub, and make a ramp in and out of it. I like this idea though because you just pick it up and dump the contents straight into a bin liner, rather than going about a whole cage trying to pick up hay!

I have two hanging hay racks and one that connects to the side of the cage.

On the floor, I have a plastic ground sheet - the type you can use to cover a bbq in the winter. My Mum picked these up for me, think she got these cheap from B&M. I have lino aswell, but didn't have enough to do the whole c&c cage.

On top of that it's all fleece. Except a couple of towels in the areas they tend to go for their wee wee's.

Fleece is dead easy. I just roll it up with all the bits and shake it out, sometime leaving it to hang out for a bit so all the bit blow off. Then pop it in for an economy wash and once dry it's good to go down again. I have 4 fleeces that I rotate round.

My piggies are indoor, so guess it depends if yours are outside, and the type of cage you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back