• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do you catch a hamster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My neighbour told me last week that one of their 3 or 4 week old syrian has escaped (they bred them or should i say the 12 year old son did!) any way when i was told i said get a bucket or box with smooth sides fill it with sawdust and some food put a plank of wood up to it so the hammy will fall in and won't be able to get out they actually said they don't care! Well tonight i had cleaned the kitchen was making a cuppa and i heard scrabling behind my fridge and there's a black hammy i didn't get it but have set the bucket trap, Does anyone have any more tip's on catching it if i do will probably keep it and not tell the neighbour's well i probably will tell them and say I'm keeping it cos what are they going to do really:))

I wish I could give you some advice but I can't but I do wish you lots of luck in catching the hamster. I think you should keep it if you do. Please keep us updated.

when our hamster escapes which is a lot shes quite good at staying still and letting us pick her up, but if not try bribing it out of its hiding place with food and then catch it? be warned when out hamster first escaped she was straight in the piggy pen stole as much of there food as she could then hid!

good luck and please keep us updated, and i would definately keep it as well horible neighbours.

Do you think the pig's would attack it or the other way round? The pig cage is in the same room as the hammy. I hope i catch it too but it hasn't been back behind the fridge yet, And I will keep it we have two in seperate cage's already one has escaped twice first time found him in the fridge (i left door open while making a sandwich) with face stuffed with bread stick's and the other time in my bedroom trying to eat my hairdryer my OH caught hime it was soo funny he was standing there holding a hamster starker's lol shouting at me to get summat to put him in i went and got his cage which opened all over the floor, This was all at 3 am can't believe we got him back twice!

my piggies are scared of her and go running and hide. she escapes a lot! she just wants to play i think. do you know where it id at the minute? do you know if its a boy or girl?

It was behind the fridge last night i set the bucket up and it has been back about an hour later and i cleaned behind it again and it's not been back all night, there's a hole in the cupboard for the pipes and i tried undoing the bottom panel (the plank of wood under the cupboard ) but it's wedgedI will keep checking tho i dont think it's going to go in the bucket I may have to sit there all night tonight

I doubt your piggies would attack. I was looking after my friends gerbil this summer when she was on holiday and the OH put him in his ball. I came home from work and asked where the gerbil was.....he was gone. He was very quick but was in and out the pigs cage and they were not the least bit bothered by him just sat munching their hay :)

You said the hamster was black? Would it just be black with dust? My friends ginger hammy went missing for months and he eventually turned up completely black sitting in the hall.

Hope you catch him :) x

Good luck catching him ..... sorry but I did have to laugh at your comment about your OH catching him starkers...lol....

I guess I would try food and buckets like you are already doing - good luck

x

Maybe try fresh food to tempt him into the bucket? It's been so long since I kept hamsters though I've forgotten what they used to eat lol
Some baby corn or a bit of cucumber perhaps :)

Yeah I guess it could be any colour I havent seen my neighbour's to ask but they just annoy me with their animal's anyway, the hammy's mum is 2 years old, too old to breed but she done well and had 6 and looked after them all, they got two guinea pig's off a breeder they know nothing about them and they have a boar and sow and because the 6 year old only liked the little one (boar) she put the sow with the rabbit i did go on at her and she put it back but it had had hair pulled out of it's back and will be pregnant if not already they've had cat's kitten's dog's(what they leave out all night) and given them up then got more i think they have a rat too

I've lost a lot of hamsters in my life, they seem to have a nack at escaping. Thing is, most of mine turn up within an hour or so (crawling over my foot freaking me out or running across the floor just in my line of vision) I'm afraid my best advice is to keep a look out, maybe put some food out in places you know you'll see, be careful tho they'll leave the house if they can.

Good luck catching the hamster. My sister in lost a hamster years ago and it turned out the hamster had made a bed behind the washing machine. I suspect that this little hamster has probably made a ned somewhere as well.

May be leave some food in the middle of the floor and wait and see if hammy comes out to get it.

Good luck finding him. I don't think your piggies would attack him. When Alan got out of his cage one night (Ross left it open) he spent the night stealing all of the piggoes food and hiding it behind the sofa. Our piggies are free range so they must have come across him at some point. I have visions of them all sitting around the food bowl lol.

I would definitely check under the kitchen cupboards if you can get the boards off.

Definately a bucket balanced on its side, on a staircase of books. Put apple in the bottom of bucket and wait, I usually caught Chips in about 3 hrs, it worked everytime.

Good luck

You can actually buy humane traps for mice so that you can catch them alive and release them, could you get one of those, but that could be pricey.
Why not try the old bucket and stick trap, if you have free time that is. Hamsters are very active at night, so when you hear it scratching around, set up a box or bucket on the floor near where you hear it and prop it open with somthing, and tie a string around it and hide round a corner holding onto the other end of the string. Under the bucket or box put some appertising things like choclate, biscuits, apple, just enough to tempt it, they have great noses so will be able to smell it and when it crawls under the box pull the string and you have a caught hamster :) Its worth a try :)

Good luck finding him. I don't think your piggies would attack him. When Alan got out of his cage one night (Ross left it open) he spent the night stealing all of the piggoes food and hiding it behind the sofa. Our piggies are free range so they must have come across him at some point. I have visions of them all sitting around the food bowl lol.

I would definitely check under the kitchen cupboards if you can get the boards off.

How are they free range? i've heard a few people say that there's are just wondered what it meant.

I will be sitting with the fridge pulled out tonight i hope it don't get out poor thing it's freezing. i dont know how it got in, i had the the walls filled a few month's ago tho my hammy went missing and we had the insulation put in during the time he was missing and he turned up ok.

They have a C & C but it is always open so they have permanent free run of the living room. They always go back to their cage to eat but have fleece areas in different parts of the room. We gave grids blocking off all wires and gaps and plastic tablecloth on the floor :)

Mine have a large run attatched but they don't go in it much if it's left open all the time but if i open every couple day's they go crazy.

have you caught it?i have a hamster who likes to escape and my trick is to leave a trail of cheerios (dont ask!not exactly hamster food but they work) and he will follow the trail nibbling them and get back into the cage
they are more active at night so i have been known to sleep on the settee so i can listen out for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back