how do you get a young pig to EAT VEGGIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
our lttle Jovi has no idea when I put the mix of veggies in the run she watches the other girls scramble like mad to get thier share but does'nt even try, I have given her a bit but she runs from it, its as if she has never eaten veggies in her short life she is only 8 weeks old, any ideas?

P

piglover

Hmm, I have that problem with a six week old too he'll nibble at a bit then go back to hide! Must say never had it before always had verocious eaters! he eats seed, hay and drinks but not sure what the veggies are for! I think I read somewhere on here the other day that it takes a while for some to cotton on to it, but its a tiny bit of a worry isn't it?

Found it: On this thread - "are babies more fussy"

J

Jenni75

Freddy was a bit funny with veg at first but I just had to find out what he couldn't resist, and that was brocolli! and then melon skin. It took him a couple more months before he would even think about carrots....

Abnoba

Reaction score
friend of mine had piggies that would ONLY eat carrot, they wouldnt touch cucumber, grapes, tomatoes....

she got a new piggy some time ago, and when he starting eating it all, they sort of felt like he shouldnt be allowed to eat so much alone, and started stealing it from him... greedy little things, at least they started eating different fruit and veg now :)

J

Jenni75

Maybe because carrots are rock hard?! I got Freddy to eat carrots by grating some over his veg bowl, I know, he's spoilt! But it worked!

P

piglover

What a good idea! I've cut my fingers cutting them up soooo small! I never thought of grating! Try it tonight!

J

Jenni75

Go for it! Try the larger grate though, not the fine as that just ends up mush! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.