• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do you make yourself drink when you just don't want too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hardly ever drink water as I don't like the taste of it and I never find myself feeling thirsty, I will only ever drink it if the water is really cold and I am really dehydrated. Of course this isn't ideal and I've been told time and time again I need to drink more, but how do you make yourself drink? If I try when I don't feel thirsty it makes me feel sick :{. I've tried adding squash, etc to no avail...does anyone have any other suggestions?

When you eat a lot of salted nuts, your mouth will become dry and you will become thirsty. Increase your water intake gradually, and you will soon find that you get thirsty a lot more often.

I've done it that way, and it works, today i drink roughly 2-3 liters of water a day. Your body will eventually start craving water. Just stick to it, it works

I keep a water bottle with me - i sip at it absent mindedly through the day - the key to avoiding dehydration is drinking little and often throughout the day - drinking large amounts a few times a day is less effective.

I also get watered out every now and again and add squash to my water - any liquid counts, even diuretics like tea/coffee - you gain a lot more fluid than you lose

Also - have you tried a water filter? you might just have really rubbish water where you are. Sometimes a water filter can make it more palatable

Hi,

If you like really cold water like me, try buying bottled water or filling a bottle up and keep in the the fridge until you want to use it:))

Thanks guys. I do keep meaning to fill up a bottle and keep it with me but it keeps passing my mind rolleyes. I'm really trying but can only seem to manage 3 glasses a day :red...just gotta keep at it I suppose.

Watermelons are 90% water. If you don't like drinking water, eat more watermelon! Look up other fruits with high water content.

First off keep a BIG bottle in the fridge and decant it into smaller bottles. Your big bottle stays cool, your smaller bottle is easier to carry around and splitting 1.5L of water into 300ml bottles makes it feel less like a chore. When you get up in the morning have a few big gulps of water. A lot of people dehydrate over night.
Then I'm afraid it's a case of little and often and easy does it. Have you tried tasting different waters? Evian and Vittell have a very different taste, a lot of people think I'm barmy when I say this but they do, something to do with where they come from. Evian is my favourite.

Coffee is a diuretic and will make you wee more, so avoid that one. But any drink has water in it, hot chocolate even, so you can drink any drink at all. It doesn't need to be water to hydrate you.

Your body takes water from food and drink at the very last stage of digestion in the big part of the gut. So it doesn't matter how you get the liquid into you. By the time it gets into the gut it is all much of a muchness anyway and your own body will simply remove the bit it wants - the water. So soups are good, anything with a sauce is good, basically anything with liquid in will be seen as water by your gut.

Basically, avoid dry foods and eat lots of wet ones. This includes moist cake rather than digestives, baked beans in tomato sauce rather than a piece of toast, ice lollies rather than ice cream and so on.

Personally I always found drinking very hard and would even fail to completely drink up my bottle as a baby. I am famous for not finishing drinks. But I eat plenty of wet food and have no problems at all with dehydration.

Final tip - if you are dehydrated and bear in mind you can lose water fast in hot weather - then put a teaspoon of sugar and a quarter teaspoon of salt into a glass of water...then force it down. That is the fastest way to rehydrate as your gut can access that one the fastest and it helps to rebalance the salt levels in the bloodstream. (Not sure why, it simply works)

I do sympathise, keep a food diary for a bit if you are unsure where you are not taking in liquid you could take in and alter your eating habits a bit at a time. Don't panic over having to force yourself to drink lots of water - that's not necessary. Best of luck in sorting this one out.

i am like this i hate drinking:)>>> but my parents make me mallethead

Personally I always found drinking very hard and would even fail to completely drink up my bottle as a baby.
Thats weird because I had the same trouble as a baby. My mum would have to wake me every few hours to feed me and I'd only drink the smallest amount at a time rolleyes.

I find it difficult to drink any drinks...tea, coffee, alcohol lol. I can almost never finish my drinks, Its quite annoying because I usually end up knocking them over when I've put them on the floor rolleyes

I've got some good ideas now though so hopefully will be able start consuming more water. I was told off by my physio the other day which is why I decided to drink more and I have my next appointment on Tuesday, so I'll have to try and drink enough by then lol.

Thanks for all the ideas guys x>>

I'm completely hopeless at drinking enough, no matter how hard I try, so I feel your pain. I probably don't even drink a litre of anything in a day, I just don't get very thirsty so I forget to drink.

I'll have to try some of the tips mentioned in here.

I have the same problem. I just... I rarely feel thirsty and I don't like drinks at all...

Then the problem got worse when my dentist told me I had to have drinks with certain things not in it.

I searched around for drinks and found that the best drink I seemed to like was strawberry and vanilla flavoured fizzy water from Asda. It's the healthiest I was able to find, too.

Good luck.

Start off just saying to yourself, today i'll drink one full bottle of water........do that for a few days to a week, then say, bottle and a half.......slowly build up.........before you even realise you'll be sipping from the bottle without even realising it!
I had got slack again mallethead so late last year i thought right that's it.......just continually had a bottle in front of me whilst working, if i moved it was there so i'd just sip away, it ends up now if i've not had a couple of bottles of water thru the day while working i feel quite parched!
by the way..........i drink tap water, that is always available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back