How do you make yourself eat when you don't want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Being a greedy pig all my life, I have never had this problem before. :red
But I started a new medication on Monday am having practically every side effect listed. Nausea, dizzyness, no appetite, I haven't had a square meal for days and it is probably making me feel worse. But I just don't want to eat because I feel like death.

I am living off crackers and dry shreddies but they are probably lacking in nutrition lol. Help?! inbreeding

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I dont know if you cant go out and buy them but when i was suffering from an ED i used to recieve En-Shakes a bit like a milkshake and they feed you up with all the right nutritants :) But I'm not sure you can buy them :S

) Perhaps you could try something similar with a high energy shake to start yourself off with but i think these are filled with alot of sugars, perhaps you could try making yourself a meal but halfing the propotion that your used to and add a bit more each day?

I hope you feel better soon, theirs nothing worse than being ill and not having any appetite :( Hugs!

lexybee91

Reaction score
If you can, try a slimfast shake or something like that. they're nutritionally rounded. Gross, but rounded.

Otherwise, anything you can eat is a bonus, try drinking fruit juices.

What are you on if you don't mind me asking?

xx

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you can, try a slimfast shake or something like that. they're nutritionally rounded. Gross, but rounded.

Otherwise, anything you can eat is a bonus, try drinking fruit juices.

What are you on if you don't mind me asking?

xx
It's called Reboxetine. I've been on 4 other things before this and never had any side effects so I think more than anything it's a bit of a shock to the system to have all these problems with it. I hope it is only temporary because if it's not, there is no way I'm going to keep taking them, I feel like I'm poisoning myself.

Mr Mojules

Reaction score
peanut butter on toast. i gan wolf this down normally if I'm not feeling to great. - not hte healthest option. but it puts something in your stomach and is also fatty so will actually make it through your gut

it is a bad cycle as you feel sick so dont eat, and then you end up feeling worse because your not eating

lexybee91

Reaction score
It is, I know it's difficult. I just forced a lassagna down myself, but I feel awful still :(

and my guineapigs picked today to misbehave, so i'm considering sending them all to bed without any veggies :p xx

lexybee91

Reaction score
Drugs like the ones your on, lots of them any way, will act like a appiteit suppresant - mine does. If I was you and it's only my opinion, give it a month to six week, I know it's hard. See if they work, if they don't go back. I'm on escitalopram at the moment... I had some awful side effects, but I'm okay kinda now so you just have to give it a chance. x

Gems

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was on fluoxetine earlier this year and I too suffered pretty much every side effect there was. After 4 weeks I went to the doctor and complained how awful they were making me feel and she told me it was normal and to give them another few weeks before they would consider switching me to a different medication. Thankfully the symptoms settled down to something I could manage so it's probably just your body getting used to this new medication.

Steven would cook and make me eat, and I would eat a breakfast, lunch and dinner, even if I wasn't hungry or didn't want to because I knew I needed to eat, after all your body needs fuel. So all I can say is try to eat 3 meals a day, even if you don't feel particularly hungry. It doesn't have to be something huge, if you can only manage a sandwich thats fine, it's better than nothing. If you don't then you run the risk of it affecting your mood even further due to your sugar levels fluctuating too much etc

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nausea is difficult to get past. Dry crackers sound like you're having direct problems with this. Don't have milk. Try very gentle foods that you might give to an invalid - chicken soup. Scrambled eggs. Only make small amounts, it's easier to eat small amount often if your tummy is playing up and a large amount on the plate in front of you can bring on nausea. Avoid strong smelling foods and try to identify what you want right now...does lemon smell good? Perhaps half a lemon muffin then. That kind of approach. Treat yourself carefully and don't worry too much about reduced intake, use a multi vitamin (check with the doc first) and be aware that your body stores loads of nutrients so less food for a few weeks won't do you any real harm.

Best of luck.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My sister has anxiety etc, and was verging on anorexic. She was told to take some sort of shake that increases her appetite. I don't know what it's called or if the have it in the UK (as she's in Spain) but I could try and find out for you, or you could ask your doctor and see if they can give you anything :)

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't worry about food Wheeky so long as you are taking fluids, I always keep complan in the house for when I go off my food which I always do when I've had an asthma attack

Becky92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Being pregnant & having sickness everyday i have a problem eating.

Go shopping to a big store like asda, spend as much time as you need, have a look at what you fancy & buy it. Preplan a few meals. Theres so much variety out there & its bound to get your taste buds going.

Hope this helps x x x

Status
Not open for further replies.