How do you remember them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This might be the wrong place to put this but if it is can someone please move it wherever is best.

I found out last night one of my piggies has a big tumour and probably loads of other problems too. I am not doing anything heroic to treat him i just want him to die with dignity in peace with his brother at his side.

How do you remember pigs? Planning ahead, I want a memorial or something to remember him by but not sure what.

For my previous pig - Dilly. I made a wee box with his fav towel in and a booklet of photos and poems but somehow I need something different for Pip.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this about your guinea pig.

I remember all my guinea pigs through photos and good memories :)
I have moved around the past few years so I have guinea pig buried in different place.

At my old house in Lancashire, in the garden Fudge, Dil, Coco, Sage & Spot are buried then next to one another.

At my old house in Wiltshire Cinnamon and Jasper are buried there.

Basil is buried in a woods where I used to hack my horse

Archie is buried in my current horses field

and Fennel is buried in my back garden next to my moorhen that died.

I love to take photos, its the whole reason I got into photography as I want to keep the memories alive forever of all my animals and I never want to forget them.

I also bury all my guinea pigs with a little something to keep them company. Fennel who I recently lost was buried with my teddy bear keyring that I carried everywhere with me :)

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I understand what you mean, I am sorry Pip has been diagnosed with this and I do think it's good you are thinking ahead.

For the guineas of mine I have buried, they are buried in a pot and an evergreen planted above them.

For those I have had cremated, I keep their ashes in a Keepsake Box as provided by the crematorium (www.cpccares.com). However, as I like the Boxes so much, with their frame (to add a photo of your own) and an engraved name plaque, they remind me of my piggies so beautifully, I also have the boxes for those I have buried, so although no ashes in these boxes, I can still place small items and photos of them inside. Unfortunately I have since added a further box to this lineup.

Branston&Pickles

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your sad news :(

Laura that's a really nice way above.

I recently lost my first piggy, we buried him in my mum's garden and she planted a pretty flower over him, i'm not sure what flower i'm not very good with gardening! :red

Rachel x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry for the bad news. It is gutting to have to face the fact that one of your piggies won't have very long to live.

I have a picture gallery of all my dead piggies in my bedroom, and photo albums as well.

I am also sponsoring the odd rescue resident in memory of one of my piggies if there is something that connects them.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this news. We have lost four piggies and because we live in rented accomadation I didnt want to bury them and if we move not to be able to take them with us so we had them cremated and we have 2 on the mantle piece and 2 are on my bedside table. Also 3 had to be pts and so the blanket that they passed away in is embroidered with their name. the blankets stay under the pillow.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So sorry to hear your sad news, this is my first time of keeping piggies so i've never lost a guinea just yet. However for my dog, and bunnies I keep photographs framed and kept on my bedside table so they are always their when i awake and go to sleep. I kept my Liz's collar and whenever i shake it it reminds me of her running up the stairs to greet me :) I'd love to make a blanket memorial though to all my lovely pets passed.

The bunnies and puppy were all buried in our old garden and we planted trees ontop of the graves so they will always bloom, and my fishys Bubbles and Pop Julious, Magic and Mushroom (I seem to get so attached to my fantail fish!) were also buried and flowers were planted on their graves.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I understand what you mean, I am sorry Pip has been diagnosed with this and I do think it's good you are thinking ahead.

For the guineas of mine I have buried, they are buried in a pot and an evergreen planted above them.

For those I have had cremated, I keep their ashes in a Keepsake Box as provided by the crematorium (www.cpccares.com). However, as I like the Boxes so much, with their frame (to add a photo of your own) and an engraved name plaque, they remind me of my piggies so beautifully, I also have the boxes for those I have buried, so although no ashes in these boxes, I can still place small items and photos of them inside. Unfortunately I have since added a further box to this lineup.

Laura, that is so special, how lovely that you have this x

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wow, Those boxes with the photos are really special. I like that idea. I want to keep the boys together when they both eventually pass away and that would be an ideal way.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a poster of my Leo next to my bed (above bedside table) from snapfish.
My boyfriend also bought me a Leo lion charm for my bracelet, Leo the lion, leo the pig :)

I also considered naming a star, you can do this for free if you know how to find it again >.< lol Plant a tree, scatter his ashes around it... :)

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I also have hand made figurines of them that i get done from the winking cavy store - you said pictures in of your guinea pigs and they paint them to how they exactly look :)

I've just got one that i have brought for my mum for xmas of her 3 guinea pigs

I need to get one next for Jake, Hector & Lentil :) maybe for my b day

Bailey

Reaction score

mojules

Reaction score
We have recently lost one of our piggies Jules who had been through so much that we didn't want to remember him the way he had been recently - we wanted to remember him the way he was cheeky chappy no stitches etc

He was kindly cremated before we collected him and he is in a lovely wooden box with his wee name plate. We still have to choose a photo for the front but he sits on the bookshelf in our livingroom and we talk away to him. We also have a wonderful magnificient painting of Jules given to us by Laura's mum so we are in the process of getting a frame for that then he will go above Mo's cage so he can watch over him :))

Jules also had a day out the other day with my mum as my brother used to work in a framing factory and we wanted his advice on a frame

I look at all the photos of Jules and remember all the funny wee Jules-isms and they make us smile x

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello
Its a sad time when one loses a much loved Guinea pig,we recently lost Daisy after a bravely fought illness.She was loved till the end and whilst she was still ok we took a little video of her to enjoy watching.We decided to have her cremated through a local company near to Uttoxter.It was £30 cheaper than the vets quoted and offered door to door service.She came back in a lovely little scatter box with her name on a gold plaque on the lid.
We love talking about our piggies at rainbow bridge and wondering what kind of day they are having so they never really leave us at all x)
In our garden we have a little tree i planted when we had our piggies and we have built a little memorial garden around it on the border,i buy a little ornament to put in the garden each time a piggie passes over ..the kind of dragon fly on a stick ...i love to watch them bob about in the summer and each piggie has a piece of ribbon attached to the tree branch.Some are buried in the memorial garden and now we have them cremated and scatter some of the ashes.
I hope you find peace in whatever you do x Helen

Astral Heart

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I remember mine through the memories in my head, I never forget a single one of the animals that have been in my life whether fleetingly or for the long haul. Sometimes I wish that I could not remember, because it can cause very painful and tearful emotions to flood out.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a poster of my Leo next to my bed (above bedside table) from snapfish.
My boyfriend also bought me a Leo lion charm for my bracelet, Leo the lion, leo the pig :)

I also considered naming a star, you can do this for free if you know how to find it again >.< lol Plant a tree, scatter his ashes around it... :)
Well futher to my post above, I'm now having to think the same question :(

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss :(

I have a turtle at the top of the garden over the top of where Connie is buried. I also have many photo's to remember her by. I have a red dome that Connie took over when she was alive (she wouldn't let her friend Eliza use it so I had to buy Eliza one of her own) and it takes pride of place in my guineas hutch for them to enjoy :)

Last edited:

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hi i'm sorry to hear about the problems little Pip will be facing :(

I have our boys Sully and Duke buried in a safe little garden with a garden headstone with their names, date of birth and date of death, plus some lovely flowers planted all around them :)
Then i have their pigtures in a frame beside my bed :)
I also have a wonderful hand drawn pigture of Duke done by Lucinda that hangs in the study so that when i'm on the forum i look up and have Dukey with me always x)

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my 2 are buried in our garden, every spring I plant a new flower bush on top. Sometimes, I go talk to them if I need inspiration, help or comfort.

I had some photos framed and mugs with their mugs on!

Status
Not open for further replies.