• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How long should I wait before trying to hold new cavies?

Captain Fuzzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, I finally got my girls. Willow, a gray/white Himalayan, and Maple, a white/reddish American.

Whenever I sweep out their cage, I put both of them in their carrier cage using a tunnel to lift them. So far, I've not held either of them. They're starting to become comfortable with hand-feeding, but Maple still runs away after she's grabbed the veggie. They still run away when I reach into the cage, and I don't want to terrify them.

Any advice on how long I should wait before I begin taking them out for lap time? Also, should I chase after them to pick them up, or wait for them to let me?

If you wait for them to let you, you'll be waiting a LONG time!

I have handled mine almost daily from day 1, which will be 2 years in Sept, and I talk to them and they know my voice and they know their names, but they still act terrified if I don't pick them up in a tube. They don't ever lose that prey instinct I guess!

So, I finally got my girls. Willow, a gray/white Himalayan, and Maple, a white/reddish American.

Whenever I sweep out their cage, I put both of them in their carrier cage using a tunnel to lift them. So far, I've not held either of them. They're starting to become comfortable with hand-feeding, but Maple still runs away after she's grabbed the veggie. They still run away when I reach into the cage, and I don't want to terrify them.

Any advice on how long I should wait before I begin taking them out for lap time? Also, should I chase after them to pick them up, or wait for them to let me?

Hi and welcome

They are ready for picking up once they are taking food from your hands reliably and have started to trust you. Most piggies will never love being picked up with hands as that cuts too close to their prey instincts and cuddling in the cage or when fre roaming is also that many are not keen on even when they trust you full but are left the choice.
We always recommend picking up with a tunnel, a cave and upturned cosy or walk-in cardboard box because it minimises the risk of bad accidents from drops and sudden blind jumps.
When your piggies reach the uncooperative stage, a little treat at the far end and a gentle tap on the bum (guinea pig language for move on) can help. Please the conveyance in a corner so you can herd them better. ;)

Please take the time to read these guides here; you may find them very helpful:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

These guides are part of our new owners' guide collection, which addresses the most often asked about areas and also contains useful guides for learning what is normal and what not.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Back