• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Much Sound Do Guinea Pigs Make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thea

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a guinea pig for a long time now and i have done all my research etc. The only thing that I'm nervous about is the sound they make since the guinea pigs would be at my dads and he lives in a town house I'm afraid the guinea pigs would make to much sound. Do you think their noise would carry through the walls? you can't hear very much through the walls but how high pitch their sound is idk.

You wouldn't hear it through walls, you can hear it in other rooms when wheeking starts. Let me have a look see if I have a video handy of wheeking....

EDIT: Well done @piggyfan - sorry posted same time x

Mine makes lots of noise and very loud but I don't think you'll hear it through walls

When my guinea pigs wheek for food if you are upstairs in the house you can still hear the wheeking even though the guinea pigs are far away from the house but my guinea pigs are loud and like to annoy me when they are hungry :)

Hey,

I live in a council house joined onto next doors and we've never had any complaints. We have six guinea pigs and the woman next door didn't even know i had them until a couple of months ago when she saw me carrying a bale of sawdust in and therefor asked me what pets i had.

They are a little noisy at feeding times but other than that their not too noisy at all!

The mess is easy to keep clean too with a carpet sweeper or hover... :)

I live in a mid-terrace house. I have four pigs next to the dividing wall on each side of the house. Inka wheeks very loudly when its breakfast time but the neighbours on that side have not complained - yet! Dandy lives in my bedroom next to the dividing wall on the other side and makes a lot of loud noise at night by gnawing on her wooden log cabin, but the woman next door has not complained.- yet!

My ladies are very noisy, but at the same time our next door neighbour has never said a word! :p

My Moo never really called out he would just rattle his cage bars with his teeth which was hilarious, but at the same time not noisy enough to carry through to another room. Tubby does call out, but it's not that loud and is infrequent, HOWEVER Dom is incredibly LOUD and does not care at all what hour of the day it is, my wife believes Dom is part Parrot, you would definitely hear Dom next door, downstairs or even from the garden!

Last edited:
I live in a duplex with no door separating our places- our neighbors sometimes hear the pigs wheek at feeding time and when we come home from work but they do not find it loud enough to complain about. plus it is a cute noise that normal non grouchy people don't mind ha ha.

Hey,

I live in a council house joined onto next doors and we've never had any complaints. We have six guinea pigs and the woman next door didn't even know i had them until a couple of months ago when she saw me carrying a bale of sawdust in and therefor asked me what pets i had.

They are a little noisy at feeding times but other than that their not too noisy at all!

The mess is easy to keep clean too with a carpet sweeper or hover... :)

I meant wood-shavings not sawdust! :doh::doh::doh:

You wouldn't hear it through walls, you can hear it in other rooms when wheeking starts. Let me have a look see if I have a video handy of wheeking....

EDIT: Well done @piggyfan - sorry posted same time x

You've clearly not heard my Jemima! I swear you could hear her a mile away! I don't know where she picked her voice from but it's astonishing

It depends on the individual piggies I think. One of my pairs is very quiet and they barely make a sound. The other pair chatter away all day and start the wheeks chorus very loudly at mealtimes and at the rustle of a plastic bag in between meal times. I can hear them wherever I am but I wonder if it's like hearing your baby cry and I'm hypersensitive to it. Our neighbours have never commented on any noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back