How much veg?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am getting bags of veg from my local veg shop, am I ok to give them it twice aday. I dont want to be giving them too much and am I ok to cut back a little on their guinea pig food.

Mary

Reaction score
I feed all my piggies just once a day with dry food but they have hay and veggies twice a day,hay sometimes 3 or 4.Ifind it works with mine but not saying my way is right. ;)

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, what I find works for my piggies is a bowl of dry food of a morning and some hay. When my son gets home from school he goes to check on them and gives a small top up of dry food if they need some, but most days the dry food has lasted. About 6.00 they have a lovely selection of fresh veg, carrots, apple (one loves oranges), swede (helps keep their teeth down), kale and anything else we have. The minute they smell the veg they squeak their little hearts out, bless them. Sometimes there is a little left the following morning, but its normally all gone, We find this works well and their pooh stays solid too (lovely subject). Again, not sure if this is correct, but it works for ours and, if you have seen the piccies of my boys on the forum, you will see they are lovely. Hope this helps. Karen

Reaction score
rule of thumb:

give between 10 or 20 percent of the piggies weight daily.

so if you have a 1kg piggy, give between 100g and 200g of fresh fruit and veg.

Reaction score
mine have hay all day long topped up morning and night veggies once a day some times I might miss a day encouraging them to eat more hay which I think is very important, dried food is always available they help themselves so sometimes it needs topping up other times its still full ,

B

Beaney

Mine have 24/7 access to hay - I usually have to top up 2 -3 times a day as they are huge hay eaters. They have veg twice a day - about half a handful per pig (I am useless with weights). Mine have dried food available all the time but to be honest - they don't eat that much of it!

Reaction score
my two have access to hay and dried food all the time...they get through about 3/4 of a bowl everyday, they have a handful of veg, like carrots, greens etc... and a couple of slices of cucumber before i leave in the morning, a handful of grass when i come in at about 3 and then another handful of veg after floor time.

They still wheek at me though for more... :)

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm.. is it okay to just give them veg once a day? It would be possible twice a day, it would just be annoying having to get everything out before school.

Sorry for stealing your thread.

Reaction score
the problem with once a day is:

you give them alot, they cant eat it all at once. by the time they feel hungry again, some has wilted, lost its juicyness, etc... just not as nice and tasty anymore. also, if they are outside, ants etc can get to it.
In summer its especially dangerous, as flies like to lay eggs in leftover food.

so if you make it two portions, one in the morning, one in the evening, its alot better :)

maybe you could ask your parents to give them the first portion mid-morning, if you dont have the time to give it to them before school?

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Abnoba said:
the problem with once a day is:

you give them alot, they cant eat it all at once. by the time they feel hungry again, some has wilted, lost its juicyness, etc... just not as nice and tasty anymore. also, if they are outside, ants etc can get to it.
In summer its especially dangerous, as flies like to lay eggs in leftover food.

so if you make it two portions, one in the morning, one in the evening, its alot better :)

maybe you could ask your parents to give them the first portion mid-morning, if you dont have the time to give it to them before school?
Hmm, good idea with my parents feeding them. Is it okay if it's prepared the night before then stored in the fridge over night? Haha, sorry but I don't trust my mum to feed the right amount :P

H

Hannah_lg

mine have hay 24/7 and there dry food all the time but takes them 3/4 to eat it and i give them 2 diffrent vegs in the moring and 2 diffrent veggies on a night

Status
Not open for further replies.