How Rude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ARGH! What is it with insurance companies screwing as much money (and legally) out of you as possible? ive recently moved house so now my insurance renewal has come through my premium has gone up a whopping 33%! thats £300 a year and they are legally entitled to do so! as its illegal not to have it i cant change company either as they have given me the cheapest renewal quote £1167 per year Full cover the sodding car is only worth £450! grrrr!

sorry rant over

Reaction score
Oh My! Why ca't you go elsewhere? I got my car insurance almost halved by saying I was looking into other quotes.

When I said that she said "Oh hang on the computers flashed up at a cheaper price as it once it hears you want to get quotes somewhere else" What a blooming hi-tech computer hearing me say that. Good job it didn't have psychic powers!

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
tried getting other quotes they tend to be another 300 dearer =/ and I'm not being funny but I'm 25 years old with 5 years no claims and a clean licence

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to phone up other insurers and be a bit demanding - tell them what others have offered and they are VERY likely to undercut the deal. I would also be tempted to phone your insurer and tell them you've had a better deal elsewhere and see what they offer.

Reaction score
Unfortunately the premium isn't just based on the cost of your car, it has to take into account the cost of the car you "may" crash into which could be worth £500 or £50 000 depending on the make & model.

Have you got an immoboliser & alarm on it, one of those steering lock thingys? All things like this can help lower quotes. Can you add one of your parents (if they've got a gazllion years NCB) onto the policy as a named driver. Even though I've been driving 8 years and have 6 NCB having my mum as a named driver always helped get it a bit lower.

I've always found getting quotes on the phone works out cheaper than doing it online (despite what the adverts say) it takes a bit longer but it's worth it to save a bit of money.

This might make you feel better http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12824940

I don't know if this is any help to you?
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

*edit* just noticed you're in Lincoln, I love having a mooch around there :)

Last edited:

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
o my god I can't believe you have to pay that much to have a car that dose not even cover the petrol or MOT'S I am trying to pass my test at the mo I have no idea how much it costs to run a car though and I have to say hearing that's really put me off :( I hope you find something thats cheaper.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm 28 and when I reached 25 I was told premiums go down, it's a lie! hehe x

slackalice2k

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Plus now women have to pay the same as men, it's a right royal pain in the butt, I'm 37 with 20 years of driving without claims or convictions, insurance for my Astra 1.6 LPG car, £500, that was half of what anybody else offered me. It is a new policy because we've just gone up to 2 cars. But I really didn't expect quotes in of £1200 + for the year.

I went through Lloyds TSB, and rang round I got much better quotes over the phone.

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My insurance went up by £500 when it was due for renewal, I had had no crashes, claims nothing and they were charging me £1489 for a 1 litre Toyota yaris, I am 36! grrrrgrrrr

I spoke to an independent insurance person, a few days later they rang me back £610!:)) So it pays to shop round.

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am 33 and have been driving since 19, I have claimed 3 times in those years, thankfully not for a while (touchwood). My insurance is £15/month for a 1.4 astra N reg with direct line, my partners is a little more than mine for his 09 citroen picasso, his went up 33% this year :o.

We manage to keep our insurance cheaper on the citroen as I am a second named driver, you have to pay a little more but it can bring the quote right down.

(on the other hand my dog insurance for my 12 year old is £50/month :o I will be changing companies from direct line as I have found elderly dog specific insurances for £12/month and a better policy too - cant understand why its so much, but thats a whole different argument)

threelittlepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I insure with Hastings Direct for about £400. My premium is still more than my car is worth, though!

dyzni

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am 33 and have been driving since 19, I have claimed 3 times in those years, thankfully not for a while (touchwood). My insurance is £15/month for a 1.4 astra N reg with direct line, my partners is a little more than mine for his 09 citroen picasso, his went up 33% this year :o.

We manage to keep our insurance cheaper on the citroen as I am a second named driver, you have to pay a little more but it can bring the quote right down.

(on the other hand my dog insurance for my 12 year old is £50/month :o I will be changing companies from direct line as I have found elderly dog specific insurances for £12/month and a better policy too - cant understand why its so much, but thats a whole different argument)
Can I ask who the elderly dog insurance is with please? I cancelled mine after an annual increase of 30% followed the next year by 91.5% (and no that's not a typo!)

dyzni

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ARGH! What is it with insurance companies screwing as much money (and legally) out of you as possible? ive recently moved house so now my insurance renewal has come through my premium has gone up a whopping 33%! thats £300 a year and they are legally entitled to do so! as its illegal not to have it i cant change company either as they have given me the cheapest renewal quote £1167 per year Full cover the sodding car is only worth £450! grrrr!

sorry rant over
My daughter is just 19, 1 yrs NCB and her premium is under £900 for a 1.6 Pugeout, she's with Adrian Flux. By adding a named driver it will lower the premium

Reaction score
Your insurance premium is also based on accidents in the area,so if you have moved nearer to a main road or your postcode covers a main road then it is likely to go up.
I've not got my renewal quote for this year yet but am not looking forward to it as I'm sure I saw in one of the replies that women now have to pay the same as men! (though as insurance is based on risk that shouldn't be the case)

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can I ask who the elderly dog insurance is with please? I cancelled mine after an annual increase of 30% followed the next year by 91.5% (and no that's not a typo!)
I havent moved it yet, not sure if you have to wait for the year to be up or not - I might just phone up and sort this out before the next instalment comes out.

One I found that was a really good policy, for pepper - crossbreed, 12 years old came to £22.19/month and that is with petplan, with excess of £75 + 20% of cost of treatment - thats the bit that gets you, so many companies want more % towards the treatment as they get older. But I just read that they have to be under 8 at start of policy, this is just an example.

I looked online and just went through lists of companies that insure dogs over 10. I have been warned not to go for any policy underwritten or covered by E&L insurance as they will con you as much as possible

http://www.dogowner.co.uk/old-dog-insurance.htm

I will have to look up the thread on the hound forum where we last discussed the elderly insurance - sometimes we get old dogs in and there are insurance companies that will insure the dogs even if they are over 10 at the start of the policy.

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

please please please please please..... check and be cautious.

IF THIS COMPANY IS UNDERWRITTEN BY E & L - DO NOT GO NEAR THEM...

E&L are notorious for not paying out - excuses are extensive from "losing forms through flooding" and then you speak to someone else while STILL chasing up your claim and this time its "we've had a fire and lost our paperwork" - they will get out of paying out any way they can, and as a result, my mate was left with an £18k vets bill.

I deal with pet insurance claims at work, we will not do a direct claim from anyone who is insured by E&L because we know they wont pay out.

I hope you haven't changed already!

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
please please please please please..... check and be cautious.

IF THIS COMPANY IS UNDERWRITTEN BY E & L - DO NOT GO NEAR THEM...

E&L are notorious for not paying out - excuses are extensive from "losing forms through flooding" and then you speak to someone else while STILL chasing up your claim and this time its "we've had a fire and lost our paperwork" - they will get out of paying out any way they can, and as a result, my mate was left with an £18k vets bill.

I deal with pet insurance claims at work, we will not do a direct claim from anyone who is insured by E&L because we know they wont pay out.

I hope you haven't changed already!
I have not changed yet but there proves what I said just above your reply ;)

anyways, best stop talking about pet insurance, the original post was about car insurance, we can continue a pet insurance debate in a different thread 8)

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have not changed yet but there proves what I said just above your reply ;)

anyways, best stop talking about pet insurance, the original post was about car insurance, we can continue a pet insurance debate in a different thread 8)
haha i didnt see what you wrote - i was too busy having a dramatic "noooo!" moment to read it lol - interesting you're from wsm - I originated from there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.