How to clean the cage when the guinea pigs are new and still scared?

Sverker&birger

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I have had my guinea pigs for 5 days now and they are still very reserved and won’t come out of their hide when I sit or stand too close to their cage. I have spot cleaned daily since I got them but now I need to clean out the entire cage. The problem is, as previously mentioned, that they are scared and I have read that it is a bad idea to pick them up or touch them if they aren’t comfortable enough letting me hand feed them because it could prevent me from bonding with them. So how should I do it? I really want them to trust me and I don’t want to ruin any chances of earning that trust.
I would appreciate any responses I just really need help to figure this out.
Thanks

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
What kind of bedding are they on?

If itnis disposable then you can just remove the bedding elsewhere first, and then when you get to the are they, more the hides to a clean area abs they can likely run back into them allowing you to clean the still dirty parts.

If they are on fleece, then its obviously a little trickier as that needs to come out in one go. In that case, I’d herd them into a carrier and put the carrier outside of the cage, clean the cage and then put them back in.

It is something they will get used to in time but it does take time.

Free Ranger

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
It's all about routine and the first couple of times they don't realise it is a routine! But they'll pick it up soon enough. I would move slowly and carefully around when they're in the carrier/hidey/cardboard box (maybe with a bit of veggie) and talk to them in a quiet voice while I'm doing it. Why not tell them what you're doing! You will notice that as guinea pigs move around they 'talk' to each other to let the other one know where they are even if they can't see because they're hiding. When my boar emerges from his box he revs up like a musical motorbike before he rumbles out announcing his presence to any pig in the area. We can hear he's going for a little walk around from two rooms away!

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have four guinea pigs in an 8 x 2 c and c cage. Half is newspaper and hay and half is ikea dolls beds and fleece. I feed them in the hay half and clean the fleece area then clean the hay area (they all rush into the fleecy bit when they see what I am up to)!

Attachments

• P_20210412_093034.jpg
    P_20210412_093034.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 10
  • P_20210412_093053.jpg
    P_20210412_093053.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9