• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to help a bereaved guinea pig?

lialooszoo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys I’ve been posting so many threads lately hope I’m not annoying anyone. I’m wondering if I could have some advise regarding my guinea pig Bumble. I sadly lost my guinea pig Bibble to cancer last Monday- myself and Bumble are really struggling without him. Bibble’s passing was very sudden, he passed away from a very fast aggressive tumour that had grew over a 2 month period so it was very sudden and traumatic. Here’s a little background story of my guinea pigs just to help everyone out a little. Bibble and Bumble were from the same litter and I obviously brought them home together. In 2019 Bumble sadly suffered a stroke that left him blind. Bibble was Bumble’s rock through out this sad time and Bumble relied on him massively- they adored each other & looked after one another right until the end. After loosing Bibble it has hit Bumble greatly and he’s just not his usual happy self- as expected. I am so so terrified that I might lose Bumble too and I honestly don’t know if I could cope with loosing Bumble as well. I was advised by the vet that moving forward me and my family should get a baby guinea pig. We ended bringing home two 9 week old babies as we couldn’t leave the other little one. However me and my family were informed that the babies were boys but in fact we found out yesterday that they are actually girls. Before I found this out me and my family introduced all three guinea pigs to each other and obviously it didn’t go as expected and they didn’t get on. (Hopefully they aren’t pregnant, that’s a whole other story to tell!) so in the end we had to separate the baby girls from Bumble for obvious reasons. If only Bumble was a little bit younger I could have him neutered but it’s just too risky and too dangerous, it wouldn’t be worth it. Moral of the story I don’t know where to turn. I don’t know how I can help Bumble. It breaks my heart how lonely he might be right now. I’ve got to give Bumble credit because despite loosing Bibble he is eating and drinking and still gets excited for food time. It’s just the lonely part that I’m really worried about. He’s not himself at all he’s usually such a happy piggie. Bumble is 4 and a half now so he’s getting on- I just want to make Bumble’s remaining time on this earth a memorable and happy one. That little guy has been through hell and back and fought so very hard to still be here today. God knows he deserves the most amazing life. I want so badly to get him a friend but there are a few big reasons why that isn’t an option. The first reason being that I still live with my mum and two sisters & just don’t have enough room or money for another guinea pig. So as long as I live under my mums roof I have to be respectful of my mums wishes. My mum was the first one bless her to even mention adopting a guinea pig let alone two so I don’t want to push it. I’m very shocked that we have these baby guinea pigs as it is! My mum isn’t well at the moment either so I don’t want to put more stress on her as that isn’t fair. So getting another guinea pig isn’t even an option. Another reason why getting another guinea pig for Bumble would be a bad thing is the fact that Bumble is getting old now & was so close to Bumble I think he would reject a new guinea pig anyway. Another reason is that even if I did guinea pig dating it wouldn’t work as if I brought a guinea pig home and Bumble didn’t get on with him I would personally struggle really badly on returning that guinea pig as knowing me I would fall in love and get way too attached. I’ve basically thought of everything. I obviously know the basics on how to make a guinea pigs life happy and a healthy one- giving them a big space to live, lots of attention, a healthy diet, lots of toys and also floor time ext. The main thing I struggle with is getting Bumble out for floor/ lap time. After suffering from the stroke and being blind he gets very stressed very quickly when he’s out of his familiar surroundings (out of his hutch) and freaks out and I don’t think he even likes being out for lap time/ floor time. I try to give him lots of cuddles but he runs away and runs in circles. Could anyone recommend any advise on how to help him with lap time / floor time? I think he prefers floor time over lap time as he’s sensitive to when I touch / stroke him. I just want to provide Bumble the best quality of life, he so deserves it. Advise would be so greatly appreciated. I’m sorry this is a long one!

Many thanks, Lia x

Are you quarantining the girls? Have you considered having them live as neighbours? I think that would be the best solution under the current circumstances. If you decided to take him dating (once rescues working more normally) then he would only come home with a piggy he’s bonded with.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Back