• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to Make Piggies Happy(ier)

Cinnamon+Mocha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think my guinea pigs are in a pretty good mental state right now, but I would like to know how to improve it further 😋 Their cage is 8 square feet, they have a woven ball, a woodeen tunnel, and a chew thingy. This was taken before I cleaned their cage. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 26
Looks pretty good. I alternate what I put in our girls cage so there are new things for them to investigate. And they absolutely love a paper bag! Mine have a log with holes in that I poke hay and grass in which they love, as well as a hay rack or pile of hay that they tunnel into and then flatten into a nest shape. And I use cardboard egg boxes and put grass and dandelions in them to make them work out how to get them out. It keeps them occupied. I also seem to have developed a collection of cardboard boxes that I put in that they hide in and nibble

Betsy likes nothing more than a huge pile of hay that she can run into (usually at speed) sit in the middle of all day, chew a bit, sleep a bit, chew a bit more, sleep a bit more and eventually chew her way out of. My lot also love paper bags. If filled with hay or treats so much the better. A paper bag to a guinea pig is very exciting.

Looks pretty good. I alternate what I put in our girls cage so there are new things for them to investigate. And they absolutely love a paper bag! Mine have a log with holes in that I poke hay and grass in which they love, as well as a hay rack or pile of hay that they tunnel into and then flatten into a nest shape. And I use cardboard egg boxes and put grass and dandelions in them to make them work out how to get them out. It keeps them occupied. I also seem to have developed a collection of cardboard boxes that I put in that they hide in and nibble
I was going to suggest something food related, food is the answer to everything for piggies :drool:

Betsy likes nothing more than a huge pile of hay that she can run into (usually at speed) sit in the middle of all day, chew a bit, sleep a bit, chew a bit more, sleep a bit more and eventually chew her way out of. My lot also love paper bags. If filled with hay or treats so much the better. A paper bag to a guinea pig is very exciting.
Mine are sadly scared of them, they make a funny crinkling sound when they step on the paper, very scary!

I agree with Betsy. A huge pile of hay would probably go down a treat. Mine have a section of their cage with a massive mountain of it which they love. It made me laugh that you mentioned the fact that the picture was taken before a cage clean as we all see pictures normally of a freshly cleaned cage. In reality, as we all know, this is how it looks 30 minutes later with substrate over the floor and poos everywhere 😄 you've gotta love them though :D

Mine just adore their hay tray. They sit in it, make nests in it, dig in it, wee and poop in it and then eat it. They just can’t get enough of it. So my vote is for more hay in a tray or a pile.

Two of my piggies love games. I usually have paper bags filled with hay, toilet rolls filled with hay or i put their veggies on a string across their cage and make them work for it.
Also tunnels, they can't get enough of them. I have sewed fleece tunnels for them and i constantly change their arrangement: sometimes is just one in the cage, sometimes there is an alternation of a small wooden bridge, then the fleece tunnel, then another wooden bridge, or there is a gap in between, or i make a T-formed system...and so on.
I have also fleece bags for them, but they prefer to sleep on them, not cuddle inside.

My third piggie is more Meh...she prefers a big pile of hay where she can dig into and a flat rooftop where she can sleep

Back