I Am A Terrible Hammy Mum....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So last night (Easter Sunday) we and guineas all went to my parents for dinner. Nice roast dinner, few glasses of wine and my dad's home made sloe gin...umm, I should have known.

Put the guineas to bed and decided to get Monty my gorgeous hamster boy, out for cuddles before we went to sleep, he often snuggles into my night gown for a snooze before we all go to sleep.

I don't remember going to sleep...at all....not even slightly.

At 3am my husband nudges me and says ' are you asleep'? 'Well I was!' I declared, annoyed. He said ' I think there's something in the bedroom, a rat or mouse'. Me... 'Dont be. Silly, you're imagining it'. Rustle, rustle... Me 'is that you?' Husband... 'NO it's a rat!'.

Umm I thought, that's odd... Then I sat bolt upright in bed..'OMG! MONTY!' I vaguely remembered getting him out....rushed to his room and there was his cage open and empty! Cue absolute mayhem and panic....at 3 in the morning. We found him chewing a pair of my slippers at the bottom of my wardrobe! He seemed quite happy but pleased to be caught! What's scary is I have no memory whatsoever of me getting ready for bed and how he got loose! I still don't! I think Monty rather enjoyed himself though and had managed to climb off the bed, walk across our room and into my wardrobe.

Terrible, terrible hammy mum. I just shudder to think what could have happened. He came out tonight, had loads of cuddles, looked very smug and promptly fell asleep on me in the living room watching telly... Clearly none the worse for wear!

Lesson to learnt...never ever drink my dad's sloe gin!

Last edited:

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We're still chuckling about it! He's an old boy (hamster not husband!) but he seems very pleased by the whole adventure!

orangeinepig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My old hamster figured out how to unlock a crittertrail cage door that was huge and has a what seems a very safe lock so the animal can't open the cage for well she did and slipped out the cage and climbed into my bed. I am scared of the dark and all of a sudden I woke up and felt my duvet moving I grab a torch turn it on and there My hamster staring at me non the worse for ware :). We then put her back in her cage and waited and figured out she could open the cage for so now we put a big container infront of the door problem solved :)

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We once had our Chinese drawf Peanut out in his ball and accidentally left him out in it overnight!

Thankfully he was curled up asleep in it the following morning.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We once had our Chinese drawf Peanut out in his ball and accidentally left him out in it overnight!

Thankfully he was curled up asleep in it the following morning.
Oh bless! You feel so terrible dont you!?

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
He sounds like a cheeky little hammy!
He's a pretty cool dude, nothing phases him really, which is just as well! He is very laid back and even from day one as a baby, never panicked or nipped. If he does not want to come out of his cage in the evening, he pokes his nose out, has a look and then plugs his door up as if to say 'no thanks, not tonight I am sleeping'.

I am just so relieved we didn't squish him or anything!

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I bet that was a relief yes! he sounda adorable. I've only ever had one hamster which I rescued, he was called Richard Hammond!

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I bet that was a relief yes! he sounda adorable. I've only ever had one hamster which I rescued, he was called Richard Hammond!
Richard Hammond! Thats hilarious! Never thought of that.

We had one called Jessica Ping..named after Jessica Ennis as she ran so fast and jumped so high.. Our original one was an unwanted rescue and we have just kept them since. I adore them and find them hugely entertaining.

Humfred

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Phew what a relief. Can imagine the panic you felt when you saw his empty cage. Our past hamsters have escaped a few times. One of my past hamsters, Cheese, once went through a little hole in the bathroom wall in our old flat. We paniced, didn't know what to do, as she could have gone anywhere inside the wall. Just as we got a hammer to make a hole in the plasterboard (of our rented flat!) She. Popped back out. Hahaha. Glad your little boy was ok.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Phew what a relief. Can imagine the panic you felt when you saw his empty cage. Our past hamsters have escaped a few times. One of my past hamsters, Cheese, once went through a little hole in the bathroom wall in our old flat. We paniced, didn't know what to do, as she could have gone anywhere inside the wall. Just as we got a hammer to make a hole in the plasterboard (of our rented flat!) She. Popped back out. Hahaha. Glad your little boy was ok.
Omg no kidding! I felt terrible! I just had that awful feeling that he'd fallen or something. Fortunately all our doors were closed and the house doesn't have any hamster get away holes but even so....I felt awful! It was that moment when I realised he wasn't in his cage and my memory of taking him out was foggy to say the least, I really panicked.

Must have been a nightmare for cheese! Especially as your place was rented. Glad she popped out, I don't think they like being free, just the option to come and go as they please!

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I was younger we had something in the kitchen cupboard. The cupboard would shake and when you opened it nothing. There was a gap at the back and suddenly the cabbage was being eaten and when we blocked the Hole it was knawed through.

Cupboard was shaken again my brother opened it to find a golden Syrian hamster. Asked the neighbour's if anyone has lost one but he was unclaimed and very tamed. He lived for 3 and a half years we called him Reggie.

Glad your little Hammy was Ok. Such a worry when they escape.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
When I was younger we had something in the kitchen cupboard. The cupboard would shake and when you opened it nothing. There was a gap at the back and suddenly the cabbage was being eaten and when we blocked the Hole it was knawed through.

Cupboard was shaken again my brother opened it to find a golden Syrian hamster. Asked the neighbour's if anyone has lost one but he was unclaimed and very tamed. He lived for 3 and a half years we called him Reggie.

Glad your little Hammy was Ok. Such a worry when they escape.
Wow that's an amazing story! How fortuitous that he found you. They are not exactly stealth like are they? I think they wanted to be found. That's a very cute story and a great age for a hamster! Lucky boy...he'd clearly heard about you and wanted to stay over lol!

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Haha he was an awesome little Hammy so chilled. Stealth was not something he was good at just thankful my parents only put down humane traps although he didn't go in them anyway. I am convinced it was my neighbours hammy but glad no one claimed him. He was very cute, golden with red eyes.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Omg I can imagine the panic you must have felt. So relieved you found him. :-) I had a similar experience a little while ago with my baby piggy, he escaped and was rustling around, I thought it was a rat! But he seemed pleased to have been found!

Status
Not open for further replies.