• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

i am going out of my mind now with rodneys fungal! dont know what more to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
well rodney has been with me 5wks sunday after the horrid owner hasnt given a s*it about him, i have done everything with him he has had!

lemisil spray.

camrosa,

nizoral,

canerstan,

antibiotics,

sudocream,

surolan cream,

bandaged up after he was ripping himself a part,

feet taped still taped which is stopping him breaking the skin,

xenex,

added vit C tablets,

ivermectin injected,

pure tea tree oil,

alove vera,

his skin had greatly improved and the scab on his back was only very very small with hair regrowth, i went away last weekend and my mum looked after the guineas, we went friday night and was back sunday dinner, and i knew straight away he was scratching more, well over this week 4 patches have developed on his body, and he is scratching more than ever,

he is back on nizoral baths, still on tea tree...

i just really dont know what more to do8...8...8... I'm at my witts end i feel i have tried everything and he improved but has now got worse skin wise, i have plucked the infected hair out while he was having his nizoral bath...

i really need some help of what else to try as i fear he will have to be PTS if it gets worse8...8...

Is it deff fungal?

Ever thought he could be allergic to something? a certain food maybe? I'm not sure what to suggest. I'm sorry.

Maybe ask a vet for some antibiotics, might help with the infection? Or Aludex? I'm not certain if its safe to use on piggies but ask ** vet? We use it on dogs with bad skin infestation.

x.

Poor boy and poor you. Sounds awful.

I can only point you in the direction of Laura's recent threads on fungal and systemic fungal infections to see if that throws anything up that you haven't already considered.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48702
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57990&highlight=systemic+fungal

Did the vet give him a steroid injection to help ease the itching?

Jenny has one of the Lymmington piggies who had an awful fungal sore on her back. She was treated with vetsect shampoo and canestan cream. It's taken a couple of months to heal and the skin broke down a couple more times dduring the process. The hair has only recently been growing back evenly.

Hope Rodney feels better soon. Awful that the owner hasn't been involved. :(

Poor boy and poor you. Sounds awful.

I can only point you in the direction of Laura's recent threads on fungal and systemic fungal infections to see if that throws anything up that you haven't already considered.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48702
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57990&highlight=systemic+fungal

Did the vet give him a steroid injection to help ease the itching?

Jenny has one of the Lymmington piggies who had an awful fungal sore on her back. She was treated with vetsect shampoo and canestan cream. It's taken a couple of months to heal and the skin broke down a couple more times dduring the process. The hair has only recently been growing back evenly.

Hope Rodney feels better soon. Awful that the owner hasn't been involved. :(

no he didnt need the steriod as once he was unable to scratch his skin and open sore heald really well and he stopped trying to scratch after a week ,

would they itch with scurvy? and get hairloss?

i have taken him off vet bed now too and bedding him on newspaper and a bit of hay topped up when its gone so he doesnt get irriteted by the hay...

the only thing i can think of is my hospital cage is a zoo zone and thinking now maybe its keepin to much heat in?

going change him into a nero 2moz!

Is it deff fungal?

Ever thought he could be allergic to something? a certain food maybe? I'm not sure what to suggest. I'm sorry.

Maybe ask a vet for some antibiotics, might help with the infection? Or Aludex? I'm not certain if its safe to use on piggies but ask ** vet? We use it on dogs with bad skin infestation.

x.

he came into me like this but much worse he came in with antibiotics and the vet told the lady bath him in hibiscrub 3 times a daygrrrr but i have to say it seems the lady did nothing to help him and just left him, since been here everythigrrrrng has changed for him he is on diff food, not on shavings.

cant think what would give him a reaction I'm very careful what i put in his cage and just stick to newspaper and a small amount of hay which is topped up when its gone so he isnt bedding in it.

i have 3 diff antibiotics here.

zithromax

septrin.

baytril.

no he didnt need the steriod as once he was unable to scratch his skin and open sore heald really well and he stopped trying to scratch after a week ,

would they itch with scurvy? and get hairloss?

i have taken him off vet bed now too and bedding him on newspaper and a bit of hay topped up when its gone so he doesnt get irriteted by the hay...

the only thing i can think of is my hospital cage is a zoo zone and thinking now maybe its keepin to much heat in?

going change him into a nero 2moz!

I don't know much about scurvy. Had a quick look on guinealynx and it does suggest metabolic hair loss can be due to vitamin c deficiency but I see you are giving him extra vit c. What is his diet like? Does he eat well?
Good idea to move him to a nero cage. I read recently that someone thought their pig's skin problem was exacerbated by sitting in a plastic igloo. Can't hurt to try.
Do you have a recent photo of Rodney's sores?

will put a picture up 2moz, he is and has always eaten really well since coming to me and drinking really well.

he even wheeks for veg now which he never did for about 3 wks when he first come.

I'm glad he is so much better Claire. He wouldn't have stood a chance without you. Hope you can get to the bottom of his problems. xx>>>

What about sporal d horse shampoo which someone said works well.

thank you will have a look at that, just worry about using to many diff things on him incase it makes him worse:(:(:(

rodney has defo tested me, out of 140 rescued he is defo the trying one:))

The lady who fostered my fungal sheltie, who only shows very little signs of it now thank goodness, used to use Johnsons small animal tea tree cream on her fungal piggys so I always have a tub of it kicking about, but I've never had anything to do with piggys as poorly as Rodney, bless his little heart

Wishing Rodney and yourself the best of luck, you are doing a fantastic job, can you imagine what a state Rodney would be in now if you hadn' t of offered to help.

Last edited:
Poor Rodney, I have just read this thread and you mentioned he is on newspaper now I know you are treating him for fungal but is it possible he could also be allergic to the ink in the news paper print. I googled 'allergies to print' and it seems that it is made from the sap of pine trees. If you google 'colophony' it will explain better than I can. Although in short it can cause irritation to the skin and reduce the immune system which could be what is making the treatment take a lot longer. Wheeks to Rodney from the girls x

here are some pictures taken this morning

DSC03115.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03136.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

DSC03139.jpg

please wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back