• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I can't stop laughing ...

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My daughter, year 11, has had to write an economics essay on how the government should reduce unemployment... Except she didn't. She misread it and has managed to write an entire essay on how the government should reduce employment. The poor girl was mortified, having realised just before she was due to hand it in, but I can't stop laughing. (She asked the teacher if she should rewrite it but has been told just to hand it in, given the amount of work that went into it.) Her conclusion was that it is self-centred and selfish of the government and she couldn't see why they would do that.

I have told her that if she has managed to pull that off, then that is quite a skill and will stand her in good stead for essays at university ... just not for economics.

I hope she gets a good mark for the work she has done, especially as it’s true at present.

My daughter, year 11, has had to write an economics essay on how the government should reduce unemployment... Except she didn't. She misread it and has managed to write an entire essay on how the government should reduce employment. The poor girl was mortified, having realised just before she was due to hand it in, but I can't stop laughing. (She asked the teacher if she should rewrite it but has been told just to hand it in, given the amount of work that went into it.) Her conclusion was that it is self-centred and selfish of the government and she couldn't see why they would do that.

I have told her that if she has managed to pull that off, then that is quite a skill and will stand her in good stead for essays at university ... just not for economics.

:lol!: That's brilliant... Is she aiming to go into politics? :))

I hope she gets marks for her content, ignoring the fact she wrote about something entirely different. I would love to read it as well, I’m curious about her arguments and thoughts.
I think she can see the funny side but is still rather embarrassed! She was just about ok with me sharing this on the forum (I did check with her first) but, rather panicked, had immediately said, don't post my essay! (I think that would be a first: a year 11 economics essay on the guinea-pig forum!) I haven't read it yet -- she just told me her conclusion, saying that she had thought it an odd question. :doh:

She shouldn’t be embarrassed if she put forward a cohesive and well balanced argument. When does she know how she did?

She shouldn’t be embarrassed if she put forward a cohesive and well balanced argument. When does she know how she did?
She says that it may not be until next Friday. The quality of the feedback they are getting is quite variable, depending on the teacher, so we shall see.

All the best. She managed to work with her mistake so that is the greatest thing. She didn’t give up or complain. In fact she offered to do the ‘correct’ work. Claps for her from me. And I wish her the very best and hope she gets a top grade ☺️

I had a similar thing at university studying speech and language therapy I only realised the night before the essay was due in that I had confused motor neuron disease (MND) with multiple sclerosis (MS) I had to scrap it and rewrite it that night after spending over a month on the original essay. Surprisingly I got one of the highest marks I got on any essay that year. I still don't know the difference 🤣

Good luck it sounds like an unusual approach but I'm sure she will have brought up some interesting points and they've got to give her some credit for that.

All the best. She managed to work with her mistake so that is the greatest thing. She didn’t give up or complain. In fact she offered to do the ‘correct’ work. Claps for her from me. And I wish her the very best and hope she gets a top grade ☺
Thank you. Yes, she's really hard-working and all the teachers appreciate that.

Back