• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I feel really stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just saw an advert (think it was for a supermarket) which was basically about brussel sprouts. I never knew they grew like that! I feel really daft now. :red

I saw brussel sprouts in Asda yesterday. I had never seen them like that before. They were still attached to what I assume they grow on. I never knew they grew on a stalk like that. At least, I had never given it any thought.

Me neither. I'm not sure how I thought they grew but it wasn't like that! I'd be rubbish on 'Are you smarter than a 10 year old'.

I saw that advert to and the first thing I thought was, I wonder if the piggies can eat the big leaves on the end of the stalk!

Pmsl. :))
I love brussels :)
They can be bought like a big beanstalk too but thats too much effort to have to cut them all off etc lol x

they started off as a joke played on a king or something, they are actually a variant of cabbages (or cauliflower) that dont get fully matured. as Mrswilsoncroft has put up a pic this is how they grow. they start at the end and when its fully grown, as pic shows, then it start to work its way down.

They look cool. Does anyone know if the leaves are ok for guineas? I'd be tempted to buy a stalk just because it's different. I love sprouts. We spent last Christmas with my in-laws, Lee had told them that I really like sprouts so I was presented with a bowl of about 40! No-one else was bothered about them. Felt a bit pressured to eat them - but also had to bear in mind that I was staying over with them that evening! We all know what sprouts do to a person :))

my dad grows them but i have never give them the leaves but i think they would be ok has they eat sprouts

If you buy sprouts on a stalk like that, just trim off the bottom inch of the stalk, and put it in water (like you would flowers) and it keeps the sprouts very fresh. Same with asparagus.

I saw the Morissons advert last night with the brussels and thought of you all :(|):))

At the college I go to they do an animl science course and they have a couple of guinea pigs in there and they're always chomping on full brussel sprouts. Ive given them to my piggys before so they are fine but if they dont like them I'm sure they wont eat them! -c

Brussels on 'trees' were on special offer in Sainsbury's last week if anyone is interested. I got some and put all the piggies together - it was so sweet to see them chomping on a brussel sprout each! Not sure about the leaves either - would be good to know as it seems wasteful otherwise?

sorry I think I missed the point of the question! I thought you meant the actual sprout itself. The leaves I would assume are fine. I have read that the only foods not suitable for guinea pigs are vegetables grown from root. I've always avoided them but I just go by what I'm told! You've gotta think though, the animal survives purely on fresh fruit/vegetables, hay and complete food. Its immune system is going to be immense - I would feed them the leaves if it was me. Seems a waste otherwise!

Just saw an advert (think it was for a supermarket) which was basically about brussel sprouts. I never knew they grew like that! I feel really daft now. :red

the stalk the grow on can be turned into walking sticks,thats how stong they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back