I found a hamster today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went on some placement visit today and sat down to eat lunch on some bench and noticed a box on the bench seemed to move - further investigation revealed a hamster!

Someone must have left the poor thing there in a tatty box:(

So basically I have brought him home on the bus and into work for a couple of hours then home on the train - petshop opposite the bench helped me by giving me one of those pet carry boxes and a bag to carry him in.

At first he seemed dazed and confused nearly diverted home via the vets but decided to get him home first and once here he is flying round eating and has been out on my hand.

I think he is a Campbells one - will post pics later here.

I've found a very small temp old plastic tank I use to use when cleaning the gang out, and will order a nice house for him later just need to find whats best as I've not had hammys for about 15 years!

People can be so cruel - he was **** left for the pet shop as they said they have had 3 rats this week left on the doorstep, but I'm keeping him, think I'll call him Dudley as that is where he was from.

Any ideas whats a good cage/house for 1 little hammy? I am going to have to squeeze him in my room somewhere.

Think it's fate I sat tere and found him - I was not going to get lunch but it was late so went back to get a potato and then sat there!

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh no, I can't believe someone would do that, what if kids had found him and played with him and hurt him, or it had started to rain?

I don't know much about hamsters but am very glad you've given him a home

Sue G

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't know anything about hamsters, so can't help - but well done Alison, as you said it must have been fate. One wee hamsters lucky day.

But I cannot believe he was just dumped like that. Well, sadly, yes I can believe it.

Once Dudley is settled, may we see pictures.

Reaction score
He's very lucky you found him - he could have chewed his way out of that box and disappeared off to a very unpleasent future out in the open.

Will be great to see updates

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
why doesnt something like this happen to me! lol

no seriously, thank god you found him, just makes me sad that people do this, why cant they take them to a vet or a rescue or somewhere, urgggghhhh i want to swear and bang things about.

And the little fella is just gad to be alive. tskkkkkk

would really like to see some piccies when you can x

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks the little man is settling in well - seems well cared for as not skinny and seems happy - he has been out on me and clings to your hand no sign of nibbling or biting I'd expected.

It's not unusual I gather - other animals have been found outside the pet shop near the bench - 3 rats this week and reptiles. Owner said sign of the times:(

It was just before all the kids head to the bus station/chippy and it was so windy today and cold, I wish people would take unwanted animals to rescues/vets, not just dump them in the open:{

Will add pics later tonight!

Reaction score
Oh poor little hammy :( How could someone do that :( Glad you were there to safe him :) Cant wait to see the pics x

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds like he had a luck escape, poor little guy. Glad he is safe and sound now, how could pepole be so careless.mallethead

Reaction score
If he's only ever going to be a tiny hamster (like those Russian ones), I have a brand new boxed cage you can have if you like.
It's not a brilliant one like a rotastack thingy (?) just a plain square cage with 2 shelves and plastic tubes for them to run between levels & a wheel, bottle, food bowl etc.

Just to add .......some people can be so so cruel, why dump an animal when they's always a rescue somewhere, makes me sick.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awwww I'm so glad you have took him home, he sounds like a little sweetie. How awful that someone has just left him there! A good cage for a dwarf hamster is the mini duna:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/mini-duna-hamster-cage-by-ferplast-15984

or a zoozone 1/ hamster heaven for a syrian. Hope he settles in well, and i cant wait for pictures of the little fella! x

Funny that just looking at the mini duna cage!

If he's only ever going to be a tiny hamster (like those Russian ones), I have a brand new boxed cage you can have if you like.
It's not a brilliant one like a rotastack thingy (?) just a plain square cage with 2 shelves and plastic tubes for them to run between levels & a wheel, bottle, food bowl etc.

Just to add .......some people can be so so cruel, why dump an animal when they's always a rescue somewhere, makes me sick.

Aww thank you what a nice offer:) I'm not into the rotastack type cages, just the basic plastic type with space to add nice boxes/toys etc to liven it up for him. But I can't have your cage you might need it or have a rescue who need it? Such a nice offer that:)

I've realised I need to go on a work visit to the big shopping mall about 7 miles away tomorrow and am pretty sure the big pet store had the mini duna cages for about £20 last time I was there, remember thinking that was a good price.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awwww the mini duna is good, and £20 is good price, hope the little hamster (does he have a name by the way? :) ) likes his new home :))

Reaction score
No seriously if you want it, it's yours.
Check my other thread, I bought it from Tesco's last week for........wait for it ..................................1p yes 1p so I bought a few.
1 went to a rescue, 1 to my brother, 1 to a friend and I have a couple left so if you want 1 it's yours.
If it's ok for you, you can have it for free (have a look at tesco on line I think it's called a small pet hamster starter home).

helen105281

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh Alison, that really is fate. He has found the perfect home with you. Hope he settles in well. If you were nearer we have a few spare cages.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Photos!
P1090680.jpg

P1090681.jpg

P1090689.jpg

P1090690.jpg

P1090693.jpg

P1090696.jpg

P1090695.jpg

I so need to get to a pet shop or go online shopping tomorrow! He seems happy with a box and a tube and some food, and had to get some sawdust type bedding as my megazorb stocks are so low and need that for the guineas until I order a new sack. Am looking forward to getting Dudley a nice home set up!

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No seriously if you want it, it's yours.
Check my other thread, I bought it from Tesco's last week for........wait for it ..................................1p yes 1p so I bought a few.
1 went to a rescue, 1 to my brother, 1 to a friend and I have a couple left so if you want 1 it's yours.
If it's ok for you, you can have it for free (have a look at tesco on line I think it's called a small pet hamster starter home).

Wow what a bargin 1p! Amazing that - but it would maybe be expensive to send? Never fails to amaze me how nice people are on here:) I would not want you to go to any trouble and I would want to send you the postage costs at least.....would the bars be ok for a little dwarf hamster? I'm so out of touch these days when it comes to hamsters but would he be able to slide between the bars do you think? Just wanted to ask about that:)

Oh Alison, that really is fate. He has found the perfect home with you. Hope he settles in well. If you were nearer we have a few spare cages.

Thank you x

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh, he's gorgeous. x) Thank goodness you found him.

Horrible that someone would leave him like that. :(

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
x) x) Dudley is sooooooo cute x) Hope you have fun shopping for all his snazzy new bits and pieces x)

Ooohh! And would you like a small 15cm diameter wooden karlie wheel for £5? it's been used once by thimble, good condition still got the box, recently bought it but its too small for my thims its this one:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/exercise_wheels/125485

:) just an idea!

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I thought Chinese but again I'm well out of touch with anything hamster!

AudioHeart - thanks not seen those before, can i wait until I've got the cage sorted see what he needs? I'm needing to catch up on what is out there these days was old basic rotastacks and habitrail starting off when I last had a hamster!

Status
Not open for further replies.