I got a hamster

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jordan

Last week I got an 8 week old black-eyed cream syrian male hamster called Hendrix. He's really cute, except he bites a bit :( I'm really excited though. I love hamsters and I've wanted one for ages, so I was really pleased when my parents agreed I could have one. I love guinea pigs though still.

J

Jordan

Yep, that's the only trouble, and they can bite quite hard for such small animals too! That's why I love piggies so much...they rarely bite. My piggies lick me!

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hamsters are sweet but they don't live that long do they? and they also bite too. Guinea pigs are like larger hamsters that live for longer and tend not to bite lol :) Is it hamsters that sleep all day too?

J

Jordan

Yep, hamsters sleep all day, though they're very cute. Mostly they have a littly nip, but some don't bite. My friend is lucky and her hamster is tame, but my hamster just tries to bite me :( :'( They live for about 2-3years

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I would get so annoyed if they slept all day lol I would just want to have them out all the time and cuddle them.

J

Jordan

squeakypigs said:
I would get so annoyed if they slept all day lol I would just want to have them out all the time and cuddle them.
Yes, it's a bit annoying, but they generally wake up a few times during the day

C

claire

I have had two hamsters and they used to sleep all day and then run around their wheel all night, they were cute though ;D

J

Jordan

claire said:
I have had two hamsters and they used to sleep all day and then run around their wheel all night, they were cute though ;D
Yep, Hendrix is very active on his wheel at night. It was squeaky when I first got it and kept the whole house awake all night, so my dad put some stuff on it and now it's quiet

K

kaoskat

Congrats! He sounds darling! I love hammies. I have 2 myself (not including the escaped Ashley).

P

princessguinea

hammies are cute. its the dawrf hamsters that are mean! :o i had a couple of them and all they did was bite. it was last draw for me when i walked in my room one day to see one eating the other! i was tramatized! ive been with piggies ever since.

K

kaoskat

lol Dwarf hammies aren't mean, they just have to be handled very differently from Syrians. I've had a few and really never had any trouble with them.

D

DebbieR

hammies are lovely but they take a lot of time and patience to tame. If you let him get used to you in his own time and not make him grumpy by waking him up he'll soon stop biting. Put some food on your outstretched palm and let him take it from you. Eventually he will walk onto your hand and you'll be able to pick him up. He only bites because he's scared of the huge thing from the sky that picks him up. He'll think its something that wants to eat him.

My Lucy hamster was adorable. We found her in the garden and she was already tame. She woke up at 6pm every evening, done a wee, had something to eat and then played in her wheel or the chinchilla sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.