Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
This is so sad and must be so traumatic for you and Ozzy.

Many years ago a rat got into my Guineas hutch in our garage. We never did figure out how it got in but it was dead when I found it in their hutch. It's tail had been eaten and some of its paws, both my Guineas were in a very odd mood. It was traumatic for all of us. I wondered if it was injured and the tail was already missing perhaps and that's why it died but it did not explain the paws which I can only come to the conclusion that the Guineas had chewed. It was absolutely awful

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that you have lost your beloved piggy and had the trauma of finding him in this condition. I've nothing to add over the information Wiebke has offered to you. I just hope that you manage to find a new companion in time.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you very much for your help!
Much appreciated!
Still a mystery to me why Lemmy died wish I knew or wish Ozzy could speak to me and tell me what happened... One of those things I'll never know I guess.

But one strange thing happened last night when I went in the cage to feed them is that Lemmy put his hand on my hand something he or Ozzy has never done ( yhat was the last i saw lemny alive) and now Ozzy let's me stroke him too! And i dont have to chase him to pick him up anumore First time ever! Isn't this strange
Unfortunately, unless you have an expensive post mortem examination done, you will never know what has happened. All I can say is that is must have happened quickly and unexpectedly, or Ozzy would not have reacted like that.Take consolation in that Lemmy can't have suffered much, and even if you had been there, it would have most likely been something that you could not have prevented.
It is a perfect normal reaction to feel guilty or like you have failed any pets in your care at the onset of the grieving process. If it is a death of unknown causes, this emotion is naturally stronger. All that it speaks of is that you are a caring and responsible owner, or you would not feel like that! ;)

The poor boy is still very upset and rather needy for comfort. Grieving guinea pigs either become very withdrawn or they become a lot more interactive if they have a strong need for company. If you sould find him a new friend, that would be great; ideally one of his choosing. We have got rescue and vet linkd in our bereavement care guide.
Ideally, I would use the 2-3 weeks quarantine that you should conduct when a companion has died from aeitehr a transmittable or unknown cause to look to research your options. But glad that Ozzy is eating and is not acutely pining.
Here is the link again: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.