• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Need You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys, I would like your help!

I'm putting together some information regarding store bought (or readily available, UK only please) cages such as the Midwest that are actually suitable for piggies. They need to be minimum 4ft by 2ft and if larger, please specify how big, how many pigs you keep in there and whether they're male, female or a mix! I'm keeping C&C cages out of this for the moment, even though that's what I use.

I'm hoping to put this information forward to change what is available to buy in shops, not just the "RSPCA minimums" that are clearly too small.

I would also love it if you could post about some of the things you'd like to be able to buy in pet shops, (for me it would be fleece liners and cosies) and post pictures of examples.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your input!

Well, I keep two boars in two Midwest cages (as I'm pretty sure I've now told everyone maybe fifty times lol). Is there anything specific about the cages you actually want to know? Because there's a few quirks I could mention but I don't want to bore everyone :P

as for things it'd be nice to buy, bedding packs that are big enough for big cages would be useful too, although I found the 30l Back2Nature bags would fit one Midwest comfortably but still, that's not a lot in the way of options.

Well, I keep two boars in two Midwest cages (as I'm pretty sure I've now told everyone maybe fifty times lol). Is there anything specific about the cages you actually want to know? Because there's a few quirks I could mention but I don't want to bore everyone :P

as for things it'd be nice to buy, bedding packs that are big enough for big cages would be useful too, although I found the 30l Back2Nature bags would fit one Midwest comfortably but still, that's not a lot in the way of options.

That's great! Would you be able to supply a picture? I forgot to mention pictures of cages/set ups, whoops! XD What sort of quirks? I'm interested in how easy it is to maintain and how easy it is clean etc.

What sort of bedding, like the care fresh? That's true, there needs to be more alternatives to sawdust, which is another reason why I started this thread :)

Setup wise it's dead simple. The basic cage is just one long foldable wall which gets folded into shape (two lengths either side and one length either end) and the two ends hook together to complete the wall. If you want to add more than one Midwest cage, there's two sides have a ramp each, and those sides can go anywhere in the circuit (see the pic. One has them at either end, the other on the longer walls). Also comes with a pvc liner that basically gets velcro'd on with attached straps to hold it in place, and the instructions tell you where best to hook each strap. I've used those same straps to lash the two cages together at the ramp, just because.

There's a more expensive version that comes with all of the above plus a roof/lid (same construction as the walls) and a partition that you can use to partition part of the cage off, whether for hay or whatever. The partition has its own ramp, and it's the only way to get the ramp cover provided, the basic Midwest doesn't have it do you'd need to supply your own at that point. You also need to buy water bottles and/or food bowls separately.

As for bedding, yeah, I use Carefresh Natural which comes in the 60l bags because one bag fills both cages, but I guarantee you're never going to see the 60l bags or anything close to it unless you go online.

DSC_0453.JPG

I have an online bought cage that it 150 x 75cm.

It is lovely and strong and easy to clean. I am very pleased with it.

2dl0ufc.jpg

Two sows live in it and seem contented. They have floor time most days. I did keep a trio in there (my last three g.pigs, a neutered boar and two sows) but think it is a bit small for three.

Here is Mistletoe;
33y6m4h.jpg

Here is Jingle;
sl17r6.jpg

I would love to be able to buy large bales of hay in the shops. The amounts that pet shops sell are such awful value. I would also like to buy fleece cage liners, tunnels, cushions, cosies, etc

It would be lovely to be able to buy underbed storage boxes with the sides ready cut out to use as hay boxes.

Lovely cages and set ups!

@Lorcan yes unfortunately the larger bags are pretty unavailable, but I shall add it to the list and hope for the best! I love the fact that you can extend it too, so it's not wasted if you need a bigger space. Thanks!

@flowerfairy do you know what make/model your cage is? Hay boxes would be a fantastic addition, the normal small animal trays are just rubbish. I'm going to add larger Timothy hay bales to the list as I wish I could get those easier too. Where have you got your current cosies and such from or have you made them? Materials vary so much, I'm not sure what would be the best options.

Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated!

@Cavy Kung-Fu it's designed like that. One will give you 8 sq ft anyway, but they're designed for multiple cages to fit together like that in a configuration that suits you. I think that's what I like most about them. There's absolutely nothing complicated about fitting multiple cages together, especially if you're willing to find your own solution to covering the ramps. And one is big enough that you can start out "small" with just one and not worry about space.

The only other thing I'll mention is that it's also flatpack, so it's an awful lot easier to get home than say a Ferplast cage.

@Cavy Kung-Fu it's designed like that. One will give you 8 sq ft anyway, but they're designed for multiple cages to fit together like that in a configuration that suits you. I think that's what I like most about them. There's absolutely nothing complicated about fitting multiple cages together, especially if you're willing to find your own solution to covering the ramps. And one is big enough that you can start out "small" with just one and not worry about space.

The only other thing I'll mention is that it's also flatpack, so it's an awful lot easier to get home than say a Ferplast cage.

Yea for sure, I just went straight to a C&C cage as I didn't know about the Midwest when I first got piggies. They'd be a great option for storage in shops too, the Ferplast cages do take up a lot of space!

We have a Little Friends 160 x 80 bought on ebay, my OH added a loft and a ramp to outside for floor time. We love this cage and so do Spike and Peanut. When we got the additional guinea pigs we were going to build a unit containing 2 C & C cages but in the end we couldn't deny S & P their cage they are always so happy to return to it after an outing even when they have been outside on the grass. I would say this is a minimum size for 2 adult boars.IMG_6739.JPG

Wish we could find cages this size in the shops.

My cage is the liberta rabbit retreat 150 (R6A). I got it online but cant remember where.

I made cage liners from fleece zorb fleece and fleece mattress protector fleece and made smaller pads usung the same materials. I bought the microfibre mats from ebay. Oh and vet bed from ebay too.

Childrens plastic stool came from a pound shop and the wooden house was already at my mums when i moved in!

@piggieminder as do I! I'm hoping that they will be in shops one day as standard! I love your ramp system, did your OH make it?

@flowerfairy brilliant, thanks. I've not seen that one before! It's very pretty, reminds me a bit of a bird cage! Very good sewing skills, I'm quite jealous! Pretty absorbant I'd imagine?

I like the wooden house, reminds me of the wooden beds I always see in YouTube videos and pictures but never see for sale :)) Lava Pigs have one and I'm jealous!

Thanks guys these are great, I didn't know about any of these cages when I first got my girls. These should be everywhere and standard options.

Would anyone mind if I used their photos and/or showed posts to show that these are tried and tested (and liked) cage options? They wouldn't be put online or anything like that, just part of my project to better the housing options in pet shops :) If you do mind, you can PM me and I will keep it out, it's not a problem!

Thank you! That's incredibly helpful, I've had a brief look but I'll go through it more thoroughly later :D

Yes I'm pretty hopeful for it, just wanna make sure I have plenty of info before I submit anything. Might take a while but it will be worth it I hope! Get rid of all the "RSPCA guideline" bull cages :))

@Cavy Kung-Fu you are welcome to use photo.let me know if you need anything else. Yes my OH made the loft and ramps, although S & P are now on a table so we can't use the ramp to the outside. Set up now looks like this with newbies underneath in C & C which is 4 x 3 with a 2 x 1 loft into the alcove, they have 2 of S & Ps table legs in their cage as this was the only way we could fit 2 cages into our very tiny living room. Cleaning out is interesting with me climbing into the lower cage and crawling under the table, good job I'm fairly small for my age!

SUNP0001.JPG

@piggieminder it's not easy to find the space sometimes is it? Great set up though! Is that a small dog bed you use for a hay tray? I keep looking for ones without holes and not too big, just like your one, not easy to find!

I found that dog bed in a charity shop it has got holes in the bottom but I line it with half a puppy pad as Willow and Bracken wee a lot in it. When the weather warms up and the piggys are outside all day I am going to paint that old door itlooks dreadful at the moment but does the job.

It's a really nice one too!

So far I have all the cages mentioned, fleece items, larger quantities of disposable bedding and hay trays on my list.

Am I forgetting anything?

This is great and so helpful, please keep it coming guys! :D

I have always been diapointed by the lack of anything above a 120cm cage available in pet supply stores. Even online anything over 120cm is ridiculously expensivel

It would be great to see cosies and fleece liners sold in pet supply shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back