• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

i should know this but don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello is it normal for 4 happy growing boars to munch through 2kg of guinea pig food in a week? or am i over feeding them none are over weight ranging from 1.75 pounds (humphrey) to 2.8 lbs(gizmo) and all are between 3 and 13 months old how much should i feed they have a bowl each to avoid fighting

hi, piggies under 9 months should have unlimted pellets, piggies over should have between 30-50g per day per piggy.

so i think yes they are eating too much, but thats my opinion :)

they are gonna make my life miserable now you have said that humph and rocky are ok but gizmo and piglet are not goin to like this new information :)

lol give them plenty of hay and mayb they will forgive you?

i was always tought that they should always have food AND hay available at all times not just 50 or so grammes at least they arent overweight (yet)

Reduce the amount slowly, giving that little bit less with every passing day and compensate by giving plenty of hay.

at the minute they have 2 bowls per day per pig one in the morning and one in the evening

I have 4 girls and they have one bowl of muesli and one bowl of nuggets per day between them. If they run out of dry food (which doesn't happen often), I may top it up before bedtime x

2 bowls of food each does sound a bit much. I give 2 bowls a day between my four girls, and the bowls aren't full really, and I'm going to cut that down in the summer. I'd say the right amount per pig, is a small handful.

I actually have two 3lb rabbits who live together and eat one very full bowl of dry food a day between them (funny how guinea pigs actually eat the same amount as small rabbits, greedy pigs!). I know all bowls are different, but an average size piggy/bunny ceramic bowl :)

You obviously love them lots :) But they will forgive you if you cut it down slowly and give them loads of nice hay :)

Pigs can make you feel so guilty for reducing food with just a simple stare...

We have had to cut down and are receiving regular guilt trips and dirty looks in the hope that romanesque banquets will commence once more.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back