I think am allergic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have 4 gorgeous piggies and I keep them in my bedroom no where else to keep them as no space. I have asthma and finding my chest is really tight when am in my room, also getting my old asthmatic cough back and getting hay fever type symptoms :( so am thinking its their hair and that causing it. I really dunno what to do :( any suggestions? Or am I going to have to rehome them, really don't want to but feeling like their is no other choice. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Try hanging the hay you use. I am asthmatic too but I find it is the hay rather than the piggies that gets me. I now use Excel Herbage from Pets at Home and that is very dust free.
Also do you keep them or sawdust/woodchips as this is dusty too.

mstori

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
washington, tyne and wear, uk (unfortunately lol)
Try hanging the hay you use. I am asthmatic too but I find it is the hay rather than the piggies that gets me. I now use Excel Herbage from Pets at Home and that is very dust free.

I agree.. try using fleece and just putting the hay to eat in a hayrack and seeing if this makes any difference first.
I had to stop using so much hay as my eyes would get sore and itchy. Once i used different bedding and just put a light covering of hay on with some in a rack it improved x

Reaction score

Am not near a pets at home so not that easy for me to get, I've tried a few different types of hay now and still having same ****. Using woodshavings just now but normally have fleeces for them. Just seems to be since I got the girls that I got worse, they cast a lot more hair than the boys do

Reaction score
I agree.. try using fleece and just putting the hay to eat in a hayrack and seeing if this makes any difference first.
I had to stop using so much hay as my eyes would get sore and itchy. Once i used different bedding and just put a light covering of hay on with some in a rack it improved x

I am using a lot of hay just now, more goes in the bin each day than they eat

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm allergic to my animals - I get a skin reaction and asthma.

Since I've been using a steroid inhaler to prevent flare ups, my asthma has been SO much better (well, when i remember to use it anyway!). I also take an antihistamine called fexofenadine (brand name is Telfast) which is prescription only, but works great

Status
Not open for further replies.