• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

If its not mange or ringworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfieldette

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

We all went to the vets yesterday but wondered if anyone had any suggestions that could help.

This will be the third time I have taken Colby and the three girls to the vets in the last 6 months with hair loss.

The first time, she gave them each an injection of invectermin (sp?) and I followed it up with a syringe of invectimin 14 days later, then again 14 days later. Colby was the only one with a visible hair loss problem and it got better.

Second time I took them, same treatment but with syringing 10 days later, and 10 days later. His hair seemed to grow back but not completely recoverd.

So, back again yesterday. He has a visible patch down his back missing and has flaky skins in that area and very itchy (based on him trying to bite us all when the vet ruffled the fur on his back). Melody (my long haired) seems to have some flaky skin but no hair loss, same with Mo. The vet also found that Colby and Lara have slightly inflamed eyes and Lara had what looked like a scratch running down her nose that was crusty.

The vet has taken hair and skin samples to send off to check for ringworm but she says it doesn't look like ringworm but as Colby doesn't seem to be responding to the Invectimin we need to look for other cuases.

Does anyone have any ideas what else we should look for if the ringworm test comes back negative?

Apart from the fact that its costing a fortune (£80 yesterday), I hate seeing them uncomfortable and want to get it sorted. I'm particularly worried why Colby and Lara have sore eyes - they haven't been on the grass since November, could it be the new hay I bought them recently?

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Sounds like it could be fungal? Sorry I cant advise but perhaps look at gorgeous guiineas website to seer pictures. If flakes of skin and hair comes out easilt when tugged it may be this. http://www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk/

Contact Laura at the guinea pig helpline for advice or have a browse round the forum x

To me it sounds like mites. Ivomec/Ivermectin is given 3 x over a 3wk period but sometimes a 4th dose is needed.

The scratch Lara has running down her nose sounds like a fungal nose stripe. Some pigs get these, some don't but they are perfectly harmless & you can treat with a little canesten cream or leave alone.
I have a pig who has one now, i choose to do nothing & it goes away after a time.

I can't offer a reason why their eyes seem inflamed as i have no experience of this with my pigs. :)

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have noticed today that Colby's fur is sticking up on his back and looks greasy round his grease gland. Its not done this before so thought I would add it in case its significant.

Any suggestions welcome.

thanks

I've looked at the symptoms list on goreousgineas (thanks for the link) and he seems to have some syptoms off both the fungal and mites list.

Mites list:
He has the inverted v balding pattern as mentioned in the mange mite list and the hair
Hair will not come out easily when tugged

but

fungal list:
he has the dandruff, not as badly as Melody and Mo do though
he has the greasy fur around his grease gland
he *** try and bite you if you go near his hip or back area

could he have both conditions?

Yes, it's quite possible for a guinea pig to have both fungal and mites. The rescue I volunteer at uses Vetsect shampoo with good results. I would also consider cleaning their cage thoroughly with something like Virkon.

Yes, it's quite possible for a guinea pig to have both fungal and mites. The rescue I volunteer at uses Vetsect shampoo with good results. I would also consider cleaning their cage thoroughly with something like Virkon.

Hi flips

Thanks for your response. They live on fleece in a C&C, should I be washing the fleece with anything special?, I use bio powder at the moment but have just started adding a capful of Zoflora as the final rinse after reading about it on here.

Hi flips

Thanks for your response. They live on fleece in a C&C, should I be washing the fleece with anything special?, I use bio powder at the moment but have just started adding a capful of Zoflora as the final rinse after reading about it on here.

I haven't used anything myself. I use non-bio to wash my fleece. I would use a capful of the Vetsect in the wash. A little goes a long way. The Zoflora looks ok though. The only other thing I have seen recommended on the forum is Eradicil.

http://www.eradicil.co.uk/

I suggest you stop using bio-washing powder as this can aggravate piggie skin. Use a non-biological and anti-allergy powder or liquid.

Looking at the websites - Zoflora is only anti-bacterial and NOT anti-fungal whereas eradicil is both. Zoflora also contains scents (eg lavender) which again is not necessarily good for guineas and can irritate.

Grease glands become more active on "intact" males as they mature....my two bonded un-neutered boys are now >3yrs old and get really stinky/hormonal and need regular bathing/cleaning (and also I cut their hair to stop it getting too matted)...so nothing exra to worry about except as part of their monthly care

Johsons insecticidal shampoo for mites and nizoral/imaverol dip/sporal D shampoo for fungal are both good preventative measures. However if your piggie has a full blown infecton then three ivermectin injections 10 days apart and a topical or oral antifungal are the way to go porivding you have had cultures/swabs taken and ites/fungal has been idagnosed.

I realise you have already had ivermectin....and if this hasn;t worked after 3 injections then it sounds like there is possibly a re-infection and you need to observe stricter measures of hygiene.

Take a look at this thread ...might help answer some of your questions.and provides suggestions re hygiene measures..any problems then please PM me.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57150&highlight=hygiene+secondary+spread

HTH

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back