• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm BARNEY HAMSTER Staying with Mrs Dougal and Florence

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Hello I'm Barney 20200913_212659.jpg
20200913_212324.jpg
Hello guys. Yep this guy staying with me for 16 days whilst his slaves are away. He has a big cage and lots entertainment in it.
He's a lovely friendly guy . . I've been given his dry food etc treats and lots bedding
Ball to put him in tho I'm not sure about that
He's healthy and very very nosey lol.
ADVISE pls what wet food is he allowed. I gave him a piece carrot last night and it vanished in .05 of a second.
Cheers. 20200913_183849.jpg

OMG a hammy! I adore them! If his ball is large (we had a ferret sized one) then thats fine, he will love it. Any smaller and it's less than ideal.
Food wise, just a small amount of veg if he is not used to it. Mine had pretty much anything that you would give the guineas. He loved beansprouts and spaghetti the most! Enjoy, hope you dont get addicted like we did. One week stay turned into a forever home and four hamsters later.....

Yay - a hamster post.
I adore hammies.

They are also really fun to feed as they can eat pretty much anything we can, but obviously no salt, seasonings, sauces, etc.

Some favorite treats here are boiled egg (a fingernail size piece of the white), a small pieces of fruit, pasta, rice, a cornflake, pumpkin seeds, any unsalted nut, etc.
But do start easy if he isn't used to fresh food - maybe a small treat every other day.

OMG a hammy! I adore them! If his ball is large (we had a ferret sized one) then thats fine, he will love it. Any smaller and it's less than ideal.
Food wise, just a small amount of veg if he is not used to it. Mine had pretty much anything that you would give the guineas. He loved beansprouts and spaghetti the most! Enjoy, hope you dont get addicted like we did. One week stay turned into a forever home and four hamsters later.....
Yay - a hamster post.
I adore hammies.

They are also really fun to feed as they can eat pretty much anything we can, but obviously no salt, seasonings, sauces, etc.

Some favorite treats here are boiled egg (a fingernail size piece of the white), a small pieces of fruit, pasta, rice, a cornflake, pumpkin seeds, any unsalted nut, etc.
But do start easy if he isn't used to fresh food - maybe a small treat every other day.
Welcome to the forum Barney 😁. You are very handsome. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time with David and will be well looked after and most probably spoilt
Thank you. Wow a bit of a boiled egg. Pasta.
He looks healthy and poos are soild. So I will give little treats cucumber this am tho he was still asleep when I left for work. x.
Cheers again.

Oh and babycorn, ours loved baby corn. Cucumber was definitely a favourite too. Its such a long time since we had one now sadly that I cannot remember all their little foibles! (they loved cheddar cheese if I remember correctly)

Yes his ball is quite big.
So I just put him in and let go. Lol

Oh and babycorn, ours loved baby corn. Cucumber was definitely a favourite too. Its such a long time since we had one now sadly that I cannot remember all their little foibles! (they loved cheddar cheese if I remember correctly)
CHEESE. Wow.

Oh yes he will love it. One of mine had a track all around the house (they must leave a scent as he knew exactly where to go) I did have one who point blank refused to use the ball, but that was fine :-) I had a female (Roxy) who knew exactly how to hit the ball against an object and knock it open to get out! She was scarily intelligent though.

Aw what a cutey! Mum's hammy Mr Alice likes babycorn, and pea pods, and unsalted cashew nuts, I think these are good safe healthy hammy foods in moderation :)
He also likes to share a bit of piggy daddy's breakfast muesli (Mr Alice likes the one with coconut shavings and raisins in) and nibble on a corner of a fig roll biscuit, which probably arent that healthy but have made him piggy daddy's new best friend while Mum has been in hospital!

I wouldn't advise using a hamster ball as there is no way to tell if the hammy is happy or not and they are unable to escape, stop or hide if they feel unsafe not to mention what happens if they pee or poop in it. I've seen You Tubers exercise their hammies in a secure run or a dry bath tub with towels on the bottom to stop it from being slippy and a few hides and toys for them to explore. I think this is a better alternative to a hamster ball but it's something people seem to be divided on so it's up to you.

(I'm not a hamster owner I just love them and find their care fascinating and exciting to research)

All my hammies loved dried mealworms (the kind you feed the birds) and small bonio dog biscuits as a very occasional treat. Seeing a hammy trying to stuff a small bonio biccie into a cheek pouch is something you don't forget in a hurry! Can't remember who told me that hammies could have them but someone obviously did otherwise I'd never have thought about it. All my hamsters lived to a ripe old age. Oh and Bob the hamster liked a tiny bit of cooked chicken.

All my hammies loved dried mealworms (the kind you feed the birds) and small bonio dog biscuits as a very occasional treat. Seeing a hammy trying to stuff a small bonio biccie into a cheek pouch is something you don't forget in a hurry! Can't remember who told me that hammies could have them but someone obviously did otherwise I'd never have thought about it. All my hamsters lived to a ripe old age. Oh and Bob the hamster liked a tiny bit of cooked chicken.
Yes they do like mealworms and meaty things dont they, I bought Mr Alice a very expensive luxury food mix with dried mealworms and meaty chunks in and he loved it, Mum hated it as she is terrified of worms, caterpillars and anything that is a long thing insecty thing, so perhaps I bought it only slightly maliciously because I didnt think Mum was taking her hamster owning responsibilities seriously enough...!

My Hercules and Hamm the adopted hammies both looooved eggs and mealworms! Bit of dried/cooked pasta (miss them and rats cuz you can be naughty and share your dinner with them!) always went down well too! Loved a nice sand bath! :love:
I had a female (Roxy) who knew exactly how to hit the ball against an object and knock it open to get out! She was scarily intelligent though.
How funny, so did my Hercules! Little beggar, especially with two cats in the house! :))

Aw what a cutey! Mum's hammy Mr Alice likes babycorn, and pea pods, and unsalted cashew nuts, I think these are good safe healthy hammy foods in moderation :)
He also likes to share a bit of piggy daddy's breakfast muesli (Mr Alice likes the one with coconut shavings and raisins in) and nibble on a corner of a fig roll biscuit, which probably arent that healthy but have made him piggy daddy's new best friend while Mum has been in hospital!
Great to hear your stories about your hamsters. He was Zzzz this morning and missed his little twitching nose. Built a bed outa paper and bits he has. So dam cute .

Great to hear your stories about your hamsters. He was Zzzz this morning and missed his little twitching nose. Built a bed outa paper and bits he has. So dam cute .
Hope you both have fun together Dave! Bit of man time! :D I wouldn’t try a mealworm though, blooming crunchy and revolting! :))xx

I can see a hamster in your future David....this is the slippery slope and how we started....you will be hypnotised and under their spell before you know it.

They are amazing creatures, you cannot tell them what to do either and they are highly intuitive. But they can also be the most affectionate little fur babies. I also found them scarily intelligent. Monty was my favourite, he once sat on my shoulder with me, watching a really bad thunderstorm one night, we just sat there and watched together in quiet companionship. Will never forget it.

Miss them like mad but busy job meant I couldnt give them the time they need and the guineas were first in! After we lost poor Roxy we decided not to get any more for a while, but if things change then I would'nt hesitate!

I can see a hamster in your future David....this is the slippery slope and how we started....you will be hypnotised and under their spell before you know it.

They are amazing creatures, you cannot tell them what to do either and they are highly intuitive. But they can also be the most affectionate little fur babies. I also found them scarily intelligent. Monty was my favourite, he once sat on my shoulder with me, watching a really bad thunderstorm one night, we just sat there and watched together in quiet companionship. Will never forget it.

Miss them like mad but busy job meant I couldnt give them the time they need and the guineas were first in! After we lost poor Roxy we decided not to get any more for a while, but if things change then I would'nt hesitate!
Lovely tale about the storm.
This little guy what I seen of him is a star.
Will carefully treat him well.

Back