• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm fuming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My youngest daughter had a hospital appointment today for her psoriasis (which is quite bad :( ) well today she saw a different consultant who we'd never seen before.
She was rude and very insensitive and basically said my daughter is a neurotic attention seeker (she's 7).
Her skin isn't to bad at the mo because of new treatments but it still affects how she feels inside (tired, lethargic) the stupid woman hadn't even read her notes (she's had psoriasis since april 2008 ) she tried telling me that my little girl was trying it on to get out of school, p.e, anything energetic, not going to bed etc which is crap as my girl loves school, p.e, she does swimming and cherrleading/dance and as for bed they prescribed her sleeping pills to make her sleep.
How can someone be so horrible to a little girl, she even questioned my parenting over bedtime hours grrrr she goes to bed at 6.30pm and gets up at 7am, that's on a great day but usually it's around 7pm while 4/5am and she'll wake up a few times inbetween, on a bad day I'm up every few hours with her.
My girl's gone to school upset thinking everyone thinks she's a liar, I was so cross that I got up and left telling the doctor that the appointment was over.
This condition makes my daughter's life harder and unpleasant and she really doesn't need a witch like her ranting about what's fact and what's fiction.
I swear she thought we were making the whole thing up, doesn't matter that there was 3yrs worth of papers stating how bad she is, including the 2 operations she's had on the skin of her ear.

Oh what a nasty piece of work and so unprofessional. Hope your daughter is ok.

I'm managed to stop her tears before they properly started but she should be ok once she got with her friends in school.
I've never met anyone like that in the 3 yrs of her being in and out of hospital.

oh how upsetting, I know someone who had similar recently with their GP and she has written a huge letter of complaint, I would do the same to the hospital- maybe try PALS?

At the moment I'm still angry but I might when I calm down, I may just write and tell the hospital that we don't want to see her again.....ever.

I'm a bit dissapointed at the mo as I feel that writting letters and complaining, people don't really listen:( (complained about a garden centre and nothing came of it)

She sounds like a complete unprofessional ogre and deserves a complaint being made against her before she bullies someone else....

Hope you and your daughter are ok

xx

It is very disheartening when complaints aren't taken seriously.

i would write a complaint now whilst its all fresh in your mind, then once your calmed down re-read and alter it accordingly. and definately send it its very unproffesional and they should know what she is like, and state you dont want to see her again.

You need to find out who her manager is - who is senior to her, and take the time to make a personal compaint about her unprofessional manner, her lack of revision of the case notes, her personal attacks upon a seven year old etc. Put it into terms that undermine her professional capacity and make it as far up the chain of command as you can. They cannot ignore any compaint that calls into question the professional working of one of their consultants. It is relatively easy for a hospital to simply stop employing her as such so she will be told off and she will have to take notice. This means that the next poor child in front of her won't suffer from her stupidity.

All the best. Do have a go, think of the next person in there too. Try the telephone and ask for the senior people if you can, you should manage to speak to someone senior. Try telephoning then write a letter stating how unprofessional she was to back it up. The sooner the better. If the hospital won't listen, send a copy to the General Medical Council. (I think that's what they're called.) Doctors are supposed to be professional enough to monitor and correct themselves - so they MUST listen to accusations of unprofessional behaviour!

From what I can gather she was covering for the absent consultant (I don't even know if she was a doctor at that hospital or if they've brought her in from somewhere else.
I've put some notes down and in a bit when I've properly calmed down I'll think about writing a complaint, I might contact my mate who's a nurse (at that hospital) and ask her for advice or info.
I think I'm more angry because she upset my little girl and I hate seeing her upset.
Hopefully we'll never see her again or even better hopefully my daughter's psoriasis will clear up so it's hardly noticable and wont have to go back.
I think my daughter is the only child there (so I've been told) as she attends the adults clinic as the childrens clinic is only once a month (because the childrens cases usually aren't so severe) and it's always booked up months in advanced, so she see's the normal dermatology consultants & doctors, every 3 -4 weeks.

I would have smoke coming out of my ears! People like that are giving the NHS a bad name. Please find out where you can make a formal complaint!

Best of luck!

I am not surprised that you are fuming, you say her skin is not too bad at the moment, well this consultant should know better than put a psoriasis sufferer under undue stress that could exacerbate her condition. Was it a follow up appointment about her psoriasis? Very unsympathetic by the sounds of things, what is she doing in the job. I would complain in writing most definatley. I know what you are going through and it is stressful seeing your child suffering when all you are trying to do is the best for their health. My daughter has just gone through a severe case of psoriasis which she has been reiceiving light treatment for, you wish you could just take it away for them, at her worse I wanted to cry for her. Hope your daughter feels better soon.x>>

She can't have light treatment yet as she's too young (they say at least 10) but they did want to put her on Methatraxate, which I refused point blank.
I've always been told that psoriasis suffers have a low immunity yet this doctor this morning has told me that it's rubbish they're just the same as everyone else.
So how come she gets coughs, colds, chest infections, mouth ulcers etc all the time, she says that my girl would be constantly having all kinds of infections, boils on her skin etc, I'm not even sure she was a dermatologist (even though she frequently reminded me that she'd done this job for years and years..........the fossil grrrr )

I too would lodge a formal complaint regarding this dr's attitude & outline how you & your daughter were made to feel.

Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease & as for boils they are generally caused because the creams used can block the pores. Having said that i have had ONE in my 38 years of living with psoriasis.

The skin is the body's biggest organ, if it is damaged the body has a weakened barrier against all sorts of nasties.

She's just so tired all of the time, yes she does swimming and cheerleading/dance but she has to stop and rest during the lesson, as she does in p.e at school.
Towards the afternoon she gets very tired (but then most children do) I can see the doctors point in some ways but she doesn't know my child at all.
The other doctors know how she is and how she feels and they have been fairly helpful.
I feel bad because I can't make it stop or take it away so I do get deffensive about it.
Hopefully when I pick her up from school she'll be all smiley and happy (she's good at that :) ).
I think I need to do some more research and speak to my local doctor to back me up and then I can complain.

That's awful! Do complain, hopefully your friend can help with the appropriate channels through which to do this. At the end of the day nobody should be able to treat others in a way in which they wouldn't like to be treated themselves, and if they can't do that then they are in the wrong profession.
When you make the complaint ask for acknowledgement of your letter and state that you expect some sort of follow up, or you will have to take the complaint higher. This would hopefully make sure that they handle the complaint following the correct procedures.
I hope your daughter feels better soon and that this hasn't annoyed her too much :)

Oh thats Horrible talking to a little girl like that, she had no right! You should complain and let her boss/manager Know straight away! So sorry! Hope she is ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back