I'm nervously keeping an eye on my boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This morning in bed just before I got up I heard quite a bit of a noise coming from the living room where the cage is. I thought it was the boys popcorning or running around the cage. I got up and what I saw worried me. There seemed to be a bit more aggression and teeth chattering, quite loud too. There hasn't been any blood drawn and when I had them out in the ball pit they ate their veg from the same bowl. I hope it doesn't come to anything because I am not sure what to do if it does. If I had to separate them I would have part with one because I do not have space for another cage on a permanent basis. Although worried I am going to remain optimistic. The cage has two shelves, each has hay, water and pellets and there are two hideys at the bottom.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two boars have days like this I have one dominant one that has moody days and he will squeal loudly at the other one and teeth chattering, mounting etc.

Yesterday was quite bad and it went on for a few hours. I took the dominant one out and gave him cuddle for half hour to calm him, then I took the other one out and did the same.

It seemed to work I think rubbing my scent on both seems to block other scents because after I held them both they were calm and today they ar *** munching hay and eating out the same bowl etc

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sandra,

Firstly remember if your tense they will be. Teeth chattering is normal boar behaviour, yes they are in the hormone stage but I have a boys/girls pairings and from what I saw of your boys they have less lover tiffs than mine.

You are doing everything two of everything, there isn't much you can do.

I had two boars that didn't get on and if there is a problem it will become obvious fairly quickly. Please don't worry, snowball couldn't be any more laid back if he tried.

I know the hormones are made out to be a big thing but please remember a lot of boys don't fallout! If the hormones do take over you can also right and reintroduce them after!

Personally I don't want to junx them I would stay positive as I don't think you need to worry!

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They get one well normally, just the usual dominance displays. I game them each a bit parsley at the time and that took their mind of things.

Reaction score
My boys have at least one tiff daily, where they grumble at each other chatter their teeth & run at each other but with in a few minutes they're side by side eating from the same bowl and then they cuddle up together in their snuggly.
My girls fall out to but they seem to have their pecking order sorted and everyone falls in line.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sure they will be fine and I will stay positive. I think my initial worrying came because I think it's the worst they have been. I love both my boys and want them to grow old together.

Status
Not open for further replies.