• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm really upset today

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DebbieR

I was walking home last night from work (which usually takes ½ hour) I was half way home when something in my leg went *twang* and suddenly it wouldn't support my weight anymore. I had to hobble the rest of the way. By the time I got home I was in so much pain I was crying.
This morning it is still painful and I had to get a lift to work rather than walk in. I'm supposed to be going to one of my dance classes tonight but I won't be able to go now.

I had this before about 2 years ago but after various tests and xrays it was decided that there was nothing wrong. I just put it down to the fact that I didn't do any exercise and was massively overweight. It went away after about a year.
Well, its happened again and although I'm still massively overweight, I have actually lost quite a bit recently and I've been exercising up to 9 hours a week.

If I have to give up my dancing classes I'm going to be so depressed. Its what I live for. I don't want to go back to sitting down all day and getting lifts everywhere. I've only just got my life back after years of sciatica and back problems.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Sorry to moan on. Thanks for listening

oh Debbie, I am sorry. You mustn't exercise at the moment. Try some gentle stretches and maybe a radox bath! Can you get a Dr appt?

this is a tough one, what part of your leg has gone? is it the top half, bottom half front or back,

i did physio when i was at college as part of my sports science course so i will be able to tell you what to do.

the main thing is that you gentle excercise the leg, keep it moving but not too much to strain it.

Hi you two,
There's no point in seeing my doctor. He just tells me its because I'm overweight. They won't look any further when they think they already have the answer. I had tests done before because I bullied him into referring me but they didn't come up with anything. I just don't know why this has happened again after all this time.
Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I'll be alright for next Tuesday and I can go to my other dance class.

It's in the middle of the front of my thigh. It'll be fine one minute and then suddenly *twang* and its gone.

That must be so painful - the quads are huge muscles there! Stu is right about gentle exercise/stretching, just don't be too vigorous!

So sorry to hear that Deb.

Hope your feeling better soon

Love
Claire
x

Thanks everyone for being so patient with my whinging.
What constitutes as gentle exercise? I thought walking was as gentle as it comes but that's what I was doing when it happened. What can I do if I can't do that? And what kind of stretching? ? :-\

well you have pulled the main muscle in your leg, the best thing that you can do is just move it, like while you are sitting down, just moving your leg.

i know what you mean abuot the doctors, gemma gets it as well and it annoys me, its not because of weight or whatever, and they can easily get you some physio for it they just dont want to.

just keep it moving and you will be fine.

Is that what it is? A pulled muscle? So its not permanent then? Oh thank goodness for that. But last time I had it, it was weak and it kept *twanging* for over a year. Why would it do that?

Doctors are arses. I kept being told that I was wheezy and breathless because I smoked. Until one day I really lost my temper and told them that I've had breathing problems since I was born. "Explain that one Einstein" were some of the words that were used. I couldn't possibly repeat them all :-[ ;D It turned out that I'm asthmatic. It took them 35 years to work that one out.

I have probably had coeliac disease since birth. I first became ill at 17 - it was diagnosed when I was 28!

But - not all Drs are arses ;D ;D ;D

Does it just hurt when you stand or does it also hurt when you are sitting when you move it?, is it swollen? is it hot?

muscles dont always return to how they used to be, when they are pulled, they take time to get back to full strength.

i used to be heavily into my basketball, until one day i tore my ligament in my ankle and i have never been able to properly play basketball since.

you just have to be careful, and if it doesnt start getting better soon, then goto the doctors and tell them that you would like a scan.

Hi Bev,
It doesn't hurt when I stand, just feels weak. It sometimes hurts when I'm sitting. Its not swollen (mind you that's hard to tell with my thighs) and it doesn't feel hot.

Hi Stu,
Thanks for the advice. It really has cheered me up to know that it will get better. So, basically whatever caused it to go the 1st time 2 years ago has left a weakness so it will always be prone to *twanging* and when it does I have to rest it. Yeah?

yup that is pretty much it,

just take it easy, put some ice on it as that will bring out the swelling and increase healing speed a bit.

if you can just move it every so often to make sure that when it does heal up it will be ok to walk on and stuff.

Thanks Stu, you've been really helpful. I'm happy again now that I know what to do. ;D

Awww, lovey, I'm sorry to hear this.. Hope you're not in much pain!

Swimming is a good way of exercising love - failing that, there's always another type which is far more fun! ;) ;)

Swimming yes its great, especially if you are overweight, also try out aqua aerobics. (And Deb no more greenpeace gags, it hurts my throat to laugh!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back