• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the skin is broken I would not put anything around the area. Even then I would not use vaseline, sticky mess!
Bepanthen ointment is good, available from all good etc etc

It isn't a nice job to have to do and can be smelly also.

My Jack had a bad case of this (RIP Jack) and I had to help him everyday. It was messy and smelly and I used to use a cotton bud (not for poking in but just for tidying up, if you know what I mean) as his poos were not firm and I couldn't squeeze it out. All I used to think as I was doing it, was just how uncomfortable it would have been for him if I hadn't have done it! :(

My Shaun is now showing signs of this. I don't think he helps himself as he just lies around alot of the day. He is neutered, big and lazy!

However, at this stage I can just squeeze his pellets out. But it is not pleasant when the "sac" gets smelly.

Unfortunately, it can be an old boars problem ... apparently something to do with the muscles of the back passage that get slack!

OH yes had this problem too...........i was cleaning out daily at least 3 times a day with our Sully...........if i misses a clean out i really noticed a difference :(
Good luck and yes you're doing the right thing, keep his butt clean and hopefully he'll be a happy little chappy xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>

Bepanthem is for nappy rash though isn't it? Why would I need to use that if the skin isn't broken?

Sorry, I have just read my post, I see why you mis-interpreted it. Bepanthen ointment is good for broken skin, and I sometimes use it on unbroken skin if it appears to be sore.

Ohh I see. Well if his skin around the area does become irritable, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back