• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

impaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the piggy my last post was about has impaction, i've read all the info on guinealynx website but i still dont know enough about it....firstly it talks about mineral oil, what is this and where can i get it from?

And again it says he diet should be supplimented with a b vitamin, yet again where can i get this from?

Is there a website with some more information on it about impaction? As i want to make sure he has it for sure, when i clean him theres always a lump of soft sticky poo in there which my younger piggy doesnt have, does this sound like impaction?

thankyou.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there

Mineral oil is baby oil. If you give your location hopefully there will be someone experienced in your area that can take a look for you to confirm impaction. Soft poo in the anal sac is normal - they eat these ones to maintain their gut flora. What isn't normal is if they can't pass them and a large number accumulate. If a large marble sized lump forms then this is definitely impaction and will need regular clean outs - usually when it is a small marble size, this can be monthly, weekly or daily depending on your pig.

After cleaning out you can dip a cotton bud in the baby oil or vaseline and twizzle it around inside the sac - this can help to shift the marbles more easily next time. Often fewer veggies and more timothy hay can help with the consistency of the poos and make them easier for the pig to shift themselves.

I found the Guinealynx site the most informative and practical site out there - if you google Peter Gurney you should come up with a couple of sites that will probably help too.

Suzy

Reaction score
thanks for your reply.
I'm in cornwall, but i've done some more reading and I'm now sure he does have it.
Its only mild as i'm only needing to do it every 2 days or so.

It says on all the sites they will need b vits supplimenting, what can i use for this?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.