Impromptu floor time this evening ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, Pudding & Squeak are in a two level hutch with the bottom level directly on the floor. I've been taking it slowly with them, hand feeding them several times a day so they get used to me and trust me, and so far it's going really well......a little bit too well this evening!

I was on my knees with the bottom level doors open and I was ripping up some lettuce to hand feed them, when in the blink of an eye, both of them were out of the cage and tearing around the dining room carpet, popcorning like mad and playing some kind of game of chase around the box I store their hay and feed in!

I didn't worry too much....they're still quite nervous, I thought, they'll be back in the safety and security of their hutch any time soon......nah, not a chance! They were having the time of their lives!

After about half an hour of 'play time' I really needed to get them back in the hutch, so, as they're still not very keen on being picked up, I gently herded them into a cardboard box and put them back into the hutch.

I bet now they've learned that escape trick, I'll have to be on my guard a bit better! It was lovely to see them careering round the place, though, they were really enjoying themselves and were into absolutely everything in the room!

Tracey

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
:)):)):))

Sounds like some very happy youngsters indeed! I guess you have to create a run and regular run time now... ;)

PS: Plus it sounds like your piggies are VERY happy and already very much at home with you!

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:)) Yep, they'll be doing that trick again. Lovely though, isn't it.

I knelt down to open Joe's cage yesterday and he was straight out and ran between my legs and out behind me. I did my best naughty voice and called his name... I think he must have been shocked as he came running back and jumped in again. Gotta love them piggies. :(|)

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It was lovely to see them having such a good time.

I definitely want them to have more floor time, but it's difficult with having 3 cats in the house, all of whom are very interested in the piggies.....the older two cats are just curious, but the kitten can be quite aggressive towards the pigs, stalking them through the bars and pouncing towards the hutch. The only solution is to set up some kind of floor run in the dining room (I can keep the cats out of there easily), but I'd love for them to have floor time in the living room where we can watch them and interact with them. I'll have to think about it.......unfortunately, my cats are real lap cats, love their home comforts, so spend all of their time on the settee with me and my OH.

LOL at Joe....they're just such fantastic characters, aren't they? I love them!

Tracey

janew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's really funny - cheeky little monsters, they probably planned it all in advance!

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He he, really funny pictures in my head! Bet they loved it! My pair have been known to try and explore beyond their boundaries - they chill out when they are in their floor time boundaries, but give them an area they are not meant to go and they are off like rockets! :))

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
LOL! They are really funny and proper characters! Squeak is the bolder piggy and he made another bid for freedom again last night while I was cleaning them out.....I just left him while I was fussing about in the cage, then i put out a bowl of lovely green lettuce and he toddled back into the cage all of his own accord. He he!

Spiggly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine have an entire room to themselves, just off the living room, and it is a nightly occurrence to go slightly nuts and chase each other around. Just as it is standard for them to hump each other if we have visitors!

I wouldnt be too worried about the cats after a while - i have never met a pig that couldnt best a cat that found them interesting!

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya Spiggly, I think my older 2 cats would lose interest after a while, the novelty would wear off, but the kitten really seems to be stalking them........and she did once almost get into the bottom level of the hutch. Thankfully, the pigs were half-way up the ramp and I also managed to bat her away before she got into the cage. The door is firmly closed now whenever i have the cage open.

Tracey

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I let them out again this evening, while i was cleaning out the cage, and they had a mad half-hour......but we had something of a breakthrough! Squeak actually came up to me several times (I was kneeling on the floor) and eventually he let me stroke him without running away! Pudding was happy to run round me and through my legs, but he still won't let me stroke him.

I do love my piggles!

Tracey

Status
Not open for further replies.