In for some freezing weather...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa_Ann

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just checked the weather forecast and the nights are forecast below freezing, some nights for -4.

Wondered what you outdoor piggy owners were planning to do for the nights to make it even warmer?

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lots if hay in their beds and plenty of calorific foods x

Lisa_Ann

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just found a large cardboard box which had some hay delivered in, I think I will put this in the bed area and stuff with hay and snuggle pouch and heat pad.

Are heat pads ok next to cardboard?

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't know about the heat pads as our vet advised against using them x

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have been told by a few people that the fluctution of temperature can leave guineas more suseptible to illness.

JayceeStar

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting vetbed in their pigloos, I also have a fleece hanging off the ramp making a sort of tent/den which Skye likes cuddling up in. Lots and lots of hay, and a fleece over the whole front of the hutch. Hopefully in a few days I'll have some plastic tarpaulin or huge sheets of bubblewrap to insulate the hutch - worked wonders last year!

Lisa_Ann

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hanging fleece

I'm going to be putting vetbed in their pigloos, I also have a fleece hanging off the ramp making a sort of tent/den which Skye likes cuddling up in. Lots and lots of hay, and a fleece over the whole front of the hutch. Hopefully in a few days I'll have some plastic tarpaulin or huge sheets of bubblewrap to insulate the hutch - worked wonders last year!

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Can I ask, how do you safely hang the fleece to the hutch? I'm thinking it might be a good idea for my piggies bed area as it would keep out any drafts. Have also put a large cardboard box in there this evening with lots of hay and snuggle pouch.

I cover the hutch with a sleeping bag too.

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with covering in bubble wrap if you can. Our hutch is covered in the foil-bubble-insulation stuff and we have regular bubble wrap accross the front and it makes all the difference! They also have two fleece blankets across the front overnight too.

My lot have boxes and hideys filled with hay too (although Boris seems to enjoy eating it more than sleeping in it rolleyes ) a fleecy tunnel and cuddle-bag

If you're going to go with the headpad, it should be fine next to cardboard, it's the same kinda heat as a hot water bottle :) x

Is there anyway you could maybe pin fleece to the walls? Or maybe tape - ducktape maybe if you don't want to risk pins?

Last edited:

JayceeStar

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your ideas. Can I ask, how do you safely hang the fleece to the hutch? I'm thinking it might be a good idea for my piggies bed area as it would keep out any drafts. Have also put a large cardboard box in there this evening with lots of hay and snuggle pouch.

I cover the hutch with a sleeping bag too.
The one that is hanging off the ramp is attached with bulldog clips, and the one on the outside, I wedge between the door and the roof, then weigh it down with bricks at the bottom :)

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
Mine are in a shed in a run during the day and then they go in to hutches still in the shed) at about 4/5pm till 8am the next morning.
Their runs have fleecy snuggle bed things and pigloos and the entire floor is covered with hay with fleece underneath.
In their hutches they have cardboard boxes stuffed to the top with hay and a fleecy flat bed to lay on aswell as loads of hay in the rooms.
The hutches have insulation and fleeces around them and a hutch cover.
Unfortunately it's still cold in there, I've been told not to use those heat pads as they can make pets poorly if the temperature fluctuates? it's a bit confusing cos nearly everyone on here recommends them.

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's still cold in there, I've been told not to use those heat pads as they can make pets poorly if the temperature fluctuates? it's a bit confusing cos nearly everyone on here recommends them.
It was me that said we had been advised against them however if you are able to keep them topped up with heat throughout the day it shouldn't cause too much of an issue. The problem is if they are used sporadically then the piggies are exposed to extreme drops and raises in temp.

Ralphisamadpig

Reaction score
I have wrapped my hutches up in bubblewrap, then tarpaulin. Mine have heat pads, and they love them!

I never heard of the temperature thingy- i just know that my 5 and a half year olds have actually been awake throughout more of the day than previously! :)

xx

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been worrying about my new rescue guinea pig outside at the fosterers for the last couple of days but it does sound like she's got him well wrapped up. Going to fetch him tomorrow - I'm sending my husband as I can't do it, but I'm worried it's going to snow and we won't be able to get over there if we leave it until later in the week.

Paula

Lisajazz

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm using heat pads in my shed but its insulated and heated in there so I think it's okay.

Although I must admit i'm a bit worried now.

This Little Piggie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm using heat pads in my shed but its insulated and heated in there so I think it's okay.

Although I must admit i'm a bit worried now.
We to were advised by our vet not to use heat pads as they give a very false sense of heat rolleyes
It is difficult to understand what is righ and what is wrong ! I to am confused now !

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
This is my third winter using snugglesafes and I have never had any problems. However, when it is really cold, they have warm ones 24 hours a day as I re heat them three times a day to achieve this :)

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:red It wasn't my intention to confuse people! Loads of people use them and they come highly recommended on here. If you are using them consistently then it should be fine.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
:red It wasn't my intention to confuse people! Loads of people use them and they come highly recommended on here. If you are using them consistently then it should be fine.
I think that you have made a good point though as I waited until it was really cold until I started to use them and will now carry on using them throughout the winter. It wouldn't be good to use them when it was milder and then stop using them and then start again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.