Insurance to cover vet bills

Ziwona77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,I’ve spent recently a lot of money to safe my guinea pigs.Unfortunately unsuccessful,they both have died.
We now have a pair of new guinea pigs and one of them developed skin problems.I had to pay another bill to the vet.
I was wondering if you can recommend a good insurance to cover all expenses,please.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The only insurer for guinea pigs is exotics direct. But if I remember correctly they won’t cover for an existing condition At the time you take it out. When I got it I was paying around £26 for two, maximum cover. It was a deal though so could be more.

Ziwona77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you,that’s still a lot per year,and probably I have to pay an excess on a claim.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes there are excesses to consider.
I just looked at it and for some things, dental was the particular one, and it looks like it only covers 50% of the cost.
A lot of us just have a vet fund and put money aside each month and let it build up. That way there aren’t the same restrictions on payouts etc

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
save what you can for a vet fund.. this is what i do.. anything i sell, make and sell, the funds go into a pot in Paypal for any vet fees' that might arise..

Ziwona77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you,it’s a shame that it so pricey to insure a guinea pig.☹

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
People are unaware that they’re not cheap if you’re providing them with the right care - including vet fees.

By the way it was £26 a month. I’d save the money as advised above - a little a month.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
It’s cheaper to save money into your own vet fund than buy insurance for guinea pigs.
That’s what I do so there’s always money available for those hefty vet bills

Hath

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Agree, piggie vet bills are horrific. Never understood how someone can have herd of 30+ and actually able to afford the care and ops like bladder stone removal which seems very common, but expensive!
I never had more than 6 at a time (including Foster pigs) and must say they cost more than any other pets I have, quality food and hay isn't cheap.
This was what I found after I was left with a bill for close to £1k for attempt to save one of my youngest boys and knew I wouldn't be able to do this over and over again.
Guinea Pig Insurance
But as it usually is, setting money aside is much better because the insurance will go up, even if you don't claim.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think it depends what country you are in. I have heard it's a lot cheaper in America (Nationwide?). They don't have so many clauses and excesses. Here they won't even cover a lot of the medicines because they are not on license for guinea pigs.

Ziwona77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for all answers,I’ll try to put money aside as you advise to treat any medical necessities.