• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Introducing My Rats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humfred

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is any other rat lovers on this forum?
Here's some pictures of my two girls Suki and Tammy :nod: They are my first pair of rats after years of researching and wanting rats. They are so much fun to own, so smart and so playful. Usually I get nothing but negative reactions when I tell people I own rats. It's a shame they have such a bad reputation, most of it bot even true. Anyway, let the cute pictures commence....
:love:Naaaaaaawwww

IMAG0865.jpg IMAG0866.jpg IMAG0850.jpg IMAG0917.jpg IMAG0924.jpg IMAG0947.jpg IMAG0838.jpg IMAG0906.jpg IMAG0908.jpg

Attachments

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I used to own rats and plan on getting another pair during summer. They are fantastic pets, so underated and have such a bad rep! Your rats are gorgeous!

MushiiPeas

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My sister used to have rats, i think their adorable. They can be such loving little things and their great to interact with and watch!

Your two are gorgeous!

Whenever i used see my sisters you'd walk past their cage they'd jump up at the bars to see you and let you tickle their tummy... so cute.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Wow they are gorgeous! So pretty! they look like they have massive characters!

What are they like to keep? Do they suffer gut stasis like guineas or are they little more hardy? I am interested as my husband and I were discussing rats the other day. He loves them and would like a couple one day. He figured that as wild rats survive pretty much anything, that they should be easier to keep than guineas...but I am well aware that nothing is that simple! Be good to get your view?

Abbie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They are the most adorable things! So cute!

I could never have rats personally! (Not because of their bad rep) they just aren't the pets for me! But I really love looking at others pictures and hearing stories of them! They seem so lovely!

Humfred

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wow they are gorgeous! So pretty! they look like they have massive characters!

What are they like to keep? Do they suffer gut stasis like guineas or are they little more hardy? I am interested as my husband and I were discussing rats the other day. He loves them and would like a couple one day. He figured that as wild rats survive pretty much anything, that they should be easier to keep than guineas...but I am well aware that nothing is that simple! Be good to get your view?
You absolutely can't compare wild rats with pet rats. My vet told me that basically all pet rats are essentialy lab rats. Because of their breeding they are actually prone to a lot of health conditions. One of them being respiratory problems, with some rats suffering all their life. Also tumors/cancers. I believe I read that the percentage of female rats getting cancerous tumours is rediculously high (can't remember the exact figures from the top of my head)
They also need a good diet. (Not just a food mix from the petshop) A lot of people make up their own rat food mix following a recipe, but you can buy these home made mixes ready from ratrations. They are such a good website for anything rat related. I buy all my stuff from there.
I'm by no means an expert btw- still learning about them myself. I assume that if you got rats from a good breeder the risk of common diseases may be less than a rat from the petshop or with an unknown background, however, we only get rescue animals in my house so that's not an option. So far my rats seem happy and healthy, although one did have a resperatory infection a couple of months ago. Luckily she responded really well to the antibiotics.
Saying all this, they are amazing animals. They came from a rescue and were not very used to being handled but they turned around so quickly. They are really playful and easy to train. They come when I call them and I have started to teach them tricks. Like with all other pets I suppose you have to carefully weigh up wether or not you think they are right for you.
Sorry for the long reply. I could talk Avout them all day :D

Everyone else, thanks for the nice comments. I feel like a proud mum. Haha.

allcreaturesbigandsmall

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Another rat lover here! Sadly my 2 girls passed away but I am waiting for some to become available from a breeder , so in a few months I will hopefully be a rat mummy again!

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Hi humfred, thanks for your reply. I did suspect the answer would be far more complex! Like you, all our animals are adopted rescues so if we ever do get a pair they will come from a rescue. Everything I have read about them is fascinating and like all animals, the more you put in the more you get back.

We have hamsters too which are also prone to all sorts so hopefully we would be well set up one day. Thank you!

Humfred

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@allcreaturesbigandsmall : That's exciting! Rat kittens are so cute! Definitily want to see pictures when the time comes. Sorry for your loss. I definitely wouldn't want to be without rats anymore.

@guineaslave : You seem like someone who would do their research and you already own different little furries so I'm sure when the time is right a nice pair of ratties will find you.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
They're beautiful. I would love rats one day.

gus+walter

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awwww they are such pretty ladies!
I have rats too (well, I have one now but will be collecting 3 babies on sunday)
I love your idea of a hanging basket with fleecy blankets in!

Status
Not open for further replies.