Introducing youngster to bonded pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmissycasscass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A friend's new girl piggie has turned out to be pregnant. I've offered to take 1 of the youngsters if there is a girl, but I would really appreciate some advice on the best way to try to introduce/bond her with my 2 older ladies. 1 is about 5-6 years old and we have had her since she was very young. The other is about 2-3 and came to us from a rescue when one of our 1st girls sadly died of cancer. We have had her about 2 years now. Our current piggies bonded well and very quickly, but they were lone adult girls. I have never tried to introduce a 3rd into the group, and wonder if anyone has any experience of this? I am particularly concerned that she will be very young, and I don't want her to have a scary, bad experience. I really do want to do the best for all 3. Help!?/

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know there is a sticky somewhere but can't find it.

Thankfully sows are generally quite easy to bond and especially with a baby so the odds are on your side. Although it's not always easy as i am finding out with mine (all of which are much older btw!)

I would follow all of the usual advise, introduce them in a neutral space (like the hallway or something), give them some veggies to distract them. You'll know pretty quickly if they are going to me OK. Expect some shenanigans like chasing etc.. but as long as there is no physical fight then they will work it out between themselves.

Personally if they get on at the first intro then I would go ahead and put them together. Just make sure that you have cleaned the cage and accessories and put new bedding in. Again veggies are always a good idea to distract them for a bit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.