• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Is anyone allergic to their guineas when wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay7

Senior Guinea Pig
This is an odd one. About 8 weeks ago i bathed one of the guinea pigs and had a violent reaction straight after my chest when tight and i could hardly breath, I took an allergy tablet and about 4 hours later i was fine but my chest was sore for a few days after. I thought it was a new guinea pig shampoo and thought no more of it.

Since then i have bathed a few of my other piggies with different GG products and the same thing has happened.

I have just bathed one of them again and this time i put a towel over my face as to make like a mask and its not as bad but my chest has gone tight.

I never used to be like this and its only when the guineas are wet. How odd is that. OH's said he will take care of bathing duties from now on.

Anyone else the same, i hope so then its not just be whos the odd ball :(|)

lauralucy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I'm not allergic to wet guinea pigs but i come out in a rash if my rex piggies touch anything other than my hands, and also the hay makes my breathing go funny.

you will have to get someone else to bath them :))

Shauna

Adult Guinea Pig
i have to waash my piggies feet regulary because if i dont and then get them out they make me come out in horrible rashs

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Fortunatley i'm not allergic to piggies either wet or dry but we have an aby x my daughter only has to smooth her and she gets a major allergic reaction- swollen and watery eyes, runny nose and her neck comes up in a rash.

grindrod

Junior Guinea Pig
I have found the grooming fluid that they produce around their eyes causes a reaction if I accidentally transfer it from my fingers to my face, also I am fine if they lick my hands but Nibbles likes to climb up me and lick my face which then produces a little soreness.

Status
Not open for further replies.