• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

is aubiose a safe bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi everyone :)
a few days ago I got 2 free 20kg bags of aubiose. I was really looking forward to trying it, but when I opened it the smell smelled kid of essential oily? I've heard eucalyptus is deadly and citronella not good so I didn't use it in the end, just to be safe... I emailed them and they said it was totally safe, but I smelled it again and I'm still concerned? :s
I'm a little paranoid, so does anyone know if its safe/any one who uses it have that smell too?
thank you :)

If it is tiny particles, it will be pretty messy if the piggies scatter it everywhere! Also if your piggies are fond of burrowing under their bedding personally I wouldn't risk it because they may end up getting tiny bits in their eyes, just a thought :(

I use aubiose and it's a really absorbent bedding. However, I find that boys can get it stuck in their bits, so I put a couple of inches of aubiose in the cage, then a thick layer of hay on top. I change the hay every other day and the whole cage once a week.
I also use it in the litter trays for the pigs I have on fleece but I change this every 3 days because it's a lot of wee in a concentrated area.

There's a review thread about aubiose here. http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3477

I was going to try some, I read somewhere that 1 part Aubiose to 2 parts Megazorb worked well but since getting the price from my local farm shop/saddelry who orders the Megazorb in for me ( best way to get it btw, you don't pay any postage as most shops like this do weekly orders) I decided to stick with just the Megazorb. Maybe you could try mixing them both? Megazorb is more economical and extremely absorbent. The top layer of hay is a good idea too if you're worried about contact with the Aubiose.

Andrea x

thank you :)

thanks, I will try it with hay on top as that will ease my worries- I did try all hay bedding once but it was just so wet so I think the absobantness of aubiose will be good! :)
my local horsey shop does aubiose, but I'm yet to find anywhere local thatn does megazorb, but I really would like to try that.

See if they'll order it in for you. If not find a local farm supplier that does a lot of horsey stuff, they have regular deliveries and just add what you want to their weekly order, much better than the £5+ postage that most websites stick onto a bag of megazorb ( eeek! ). A saddelry or farm shop will be selling the 85L bags for between £6.50 and £8 a bag which should last a good while depending on how many piggies you have. It's very easy to spot clean wet patches because they don't spread ( unlike with woodshavings ). The first farmshop we ordered ours with was slightly cheaper than the one we use now bu that's offset by the fact that our current one is just down the road from us!

x

I use aubiose in the girls litter trays they have 2 but they are mostly on fleece (they have a 6ft x 2ft double storey hutch) but I put a really thick layer of hay on top fresh every morning and top it up at night so theyre never really in contact with it. I also use it for my bunnies trays but funnily enough as my guinea boy has his hay in a small pet carrier, he does tend to burrow into it so I dont use it for him would def be worried about it sticking in his bits! (he just has newspaper and hay but doesnt go to the toilet in it) Ive used it for months - its my favourite over megazorb and many other horsey dust free type beddings as its nice and soft...:)

I use Aubiose for my bunnies and piggies, although I ran out and the shop didn't have any left last week, so I ended up with Equiflax.

I really like the Equiflax for the piggies now, so will stick to that for them and the Aubiose for the bunnies :)

What's Equiflax like? Not heard of that one.

And roughly how much is a bag ( is it compressed 20 -22kg? )

What's Equiflax like? Not heard of that one.

It's lovely and soft for under piggy feet and bums - pure flax, nothing added :)

It another brand of horse bedding, so comes in a huge great compressed sack for approx £9.00 :)

Ta, will ask at our farm supplier if they can get some in. :)

Hmmm. Never heard of it. If it is too fine it may get in their lungs or they can breath it in....

See if they'll order it in for you. If not find a local farm supplier that does a lot of horsey stuff, they have regular deliveries and just add what you want to their weekly order, much better than the £5+ postage that most websites stick onto a bag of megazorb ( eeek! ). A saddelry or farm shop will be selling the 85L bags for between £6.50 and £8 a bag which should last a good while depending on how many piggies you have. It's very easy to spot clean wet patches because they don't spread ( unlike with woodshavings ). The first farmshop we ordered ours with was slightly cheaper than the one we use now bu that's offset by the fact that our current one is just down the road from us!

x

Andrea, could you possibly tell me where in Chester or surrounding area I can find Megazorb? I've Googled and I'm only coming up with Congleton which is a bit far from me. Any help would be much appreciated! I had a chat with a lady tonight whilst collecting a new pig (but she was an hour away) and she was using Megazorb and it looked great.

Gatesheath Saddlery & Country Store
Gatesheath Lane, Tattenhall, Chester CH3 9AS
01829 771730
will order it in ( near Tattenhall )

There's also one just outside Wrexham near Hope, can't remember the name tho'.

It's hopeless trying to use the company websites to find suppliers ( I don't know why they bother publishing a list of stockists! ), I ended up Googling all the local farm shops and saddelrys etc and phoning them up to ask if they could order some in. Gatesheath put their order in on a Monday morning and the deliveries arrive every Wednesday so if you want some fairly sharpish you've missed the order for this Wednesday but they'll be able to get you some in for next Wednesday if you phone them this week
Hope that helps.:)

re: the Hope one, may have the wrong area! ) Will have to ask DH, can't remember where it is now!mallethead

Thanks so much! There is a horse place in Hope, I went riding there a long long time ago now, will try and give them a call. That's closer to me than Tattenhall, but even that's not too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back