• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is it fungal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A some of my teddy guinea pigs have recently started losing some patches of hair. I was examining Bellatrix, since she had this problem, and a clump of hair with skin attached came off. Her skin looked dry and flaky, like dandruff. I took a few pictures of it.

Here's the clump of hair
april9001.jpg

And here's a bald patch with the dry, flaky skin
april9003.jpg

Another one of my teddy sows had a bald patch too, but no clumps of hair came out
april9005.jpg

april9004.jpg

Is it fungal? Only the teddy's are affected. Willow and Woog (my only non-teddy's) are not at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hiya
Mine suffer from fungal, I'm not an expert and couldnt say for certain but it does look like what my buttercup gets. i use canesten cream 1% its the dual action one for athletes foot, with a picture of a foot on the box, costs about £4.50 from chemist/supermarket. I had to take one of my pigs to the vets this week as she had scratched her face so bad fron the fungal there was almost a hole in her face, she advised me to carry on using the canesten cream xx

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you :) I have no experience with fungal issues. It was like there was a giant outbreak in most of my teddy's. They are more itchy than usual, but nothing extreme, thank goodness. I'll try the canesten cream, thankfully they have it in the US :)

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would say possibly mites too. If you read on the guinealynx site it says that loosing hair with a clump of skin attached can be a sign of mite infestations. The itchiness is a good sign of mites too. I'm treating all mine with Xeno 450 at the moment as this was happening to Lexi and she was getting really irritated when I stroked her back. If you can't get this in the US then any ivermectin will do I think. Maybe check here http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html. Hopefully they will disappear soon. Good luck with yours :). X

Last edited:

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would say possibly mites too. If you read on the guinealynx site it says that loosing hair with a clump of skin attached can be a sign of mite infestations. The itchiness is a good sign of mites too. I'm treating all mine with Xeno 450 at the moment as this was happening to Lexi and she was getting really irritated when I stroked her back. If you can't get this in the US then any ivermectin will do I think. Maybe check here http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html. Hopefully they will disappear soon. Good luck with yours :). X

Thank you :). I have a question though. Are mites contagious? Only the teddy's are affected by this. My skinny pig and crested piggy have no problems at all, so I'm a bit puzzled ?/

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone know if mites or anything fungal is contagious? Both Willow and Woog live with teddy sows that shows hair loss, but do not show signs of mites or anything fungal

Last edited:

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmmm, strange. You'd think Willow would be showing signs of this, because she's hairless :{ Skinny pigs are more prone to mites and fungal infections. But it's only the teddy's :{

Status
Not open for further replies.