• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is it ok to leave guinea pigs in a run for 6+ hours?

BarneyandLeo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Recently I ordered the guinea pigs a huge 6ft run and they’re absolutely loving it. However, I go back to do A levels next week and I’m not able to stay at home from 8am to 3:45pm. Do you think if I ordered a rain shelter and a small hutch to keep inside the run I’d be able to keep them in there for that time? Then in the evening I can put them back in their indoor cage. They’re living in the minimum size cage at the moment and they’ve been so happy with the extra space.

Honestly they should be supervised at all times when in the run. What happens if a cat or some other predator comes along?

I tend to agree with @Lorcan
Leaving them unsupervised in a run for over 6 hours is risky - it isn't just predators that you need to be worried about, but things like sudden changes in the weather, unforeseen delays, high winds, etc.
It does sound like they enjoy the extra space, but would there be some way to add a playpen to their current cage so they can have additional space in the safety of your house while you are studying?

Back