• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is the Ikea Platsa a good cage?

Vilde

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey there!

I’ve posted a thread here before and discussed possibly «borrowing» some piggies from the manager at a barn i’m at. I will probably stick with a plastic rabbit cage until i decide if i will keep them, but i was wondering what cage i could use if i do keep them.

I know a lot of people use c and c cages, and that is certainly an option, but they are not sold in my country. So, i took to ikea.com to look for something, and i stumbled upon platsa.

It’s essentially a wooden box layed down, and the largest one measures about 180L x 80W x 55H in cm. It’s pretty cheap and looks quite sturdy. I guess my biggest concern is that it’s wooden, and i was wondering wether it would be too easy for them to chew through it.

I will include a picture so you know what i’m talking about
D2FCB9BB-0774-451A-9B37-8CAE833B94E7.jpeg

Size wise it’s fine, the sides should be high enough as well. You would have to line the entire thing with plastic sheeting so urine couldnt get onto the wood. Your biggest concern would be chewing though - whether the wood is safe (some Wood can be toxic), but also if they were to be climbers, they could jump up on hidey houses etc and chew the top of it.

Size wise it’s fine, the sides should be high enough as well. You would have to line the entire thing with plastic sheeting so urine couldnt get onto the wood. Your biggest concern would be chewing though - whether the wood is safe (some Wood can be toxic), but also if they were to be climbers, they could jump up on hidey houses etc and chew the top of it.
What types of wood are toxic?

I’m also guessing they won’t be able to chew this wood, i’ve had other rodents in ikea furniture cages before and they can’t seem to be able to grip it properly.

I’ve heard other people say the wood is quite easy to clean and not too absorbent, do you think i could just line the bottom instead?

As far as chewing on the top goes, i will be making a lid to keep the cat out, so i think that should stop them?

Sorry if i’m asking too many questions XD Better safe than sorry! xx

It can be quite tricky when you are trying to use something not meant for animals as it really depends how it is made - you can find lists of safe woods online. If you were to line the bottom, then I’d line a couple of inches up the side as well. My hutch is lined on the bottom but if they pee in a corner then it has also soaked up the sides as well.

A lid should stop that, yes!

What size rabbit cages can you get?

It can be quite tricky when you are trying to use something not meant for animals as it really depends how it is made - you can find lists of safe woods online. If you were to line the bottom, then I’d line a couple of inches up the side as well. My hutch is lined on the bottom but if they pee in a corner then it has also soaked up the sides as well.

A lid should stop that, yes!

What size rabbit cages can you get?
I’m thinking 60 x 120 for now, idk their gender however most people have boars. If they are boars i’ll obviously be looking for something bigger! I’ve heard 150 x 60 is the bare minimum, so it’ll be at least that big

I’m thinking 60 x 120 for now, idk their gender however most people have boars. If they are boars i’ll obviously be looking for something bigger! I’ve heard 150 x 60 is the bare minimum, so it’ll be at least that big

Yes, larger is advisable for boars.
However, it is possible to simply add pens to the front of commercial cages If they are too small, in order to to make them bigger. Just another thought, that’s all!

This thread may help with some ideas if you were to do it this way.

Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

What kind of lid are you thinking of? You need to make sure there's enough ventilation, as the sides are completely solid.

It is a drawer made from laminated chipboard like kitchen units. As soon as it gets wet the joints will swell up and split. I don’t think it will serve you well long term 😟

It is a drawer made from laminated chipboard like kitchen units. As soon as it gets wet the joints will swell up and split. I don’t think it will serve you well long term 😟
It says that it’s made out of treefiber, paperfilling and cork.. and i don’t think it’s a drawer. It also doesn’t really have any joints from what i can tell, it has plugs but i don’t know if they are made out of wood. I hope it’s fine but i’m worried you may be right... :(

Edit: i think it’s chipboard instead of cork

It doesn’t sound like it would withstand use with animals at all if I’m honest. It may not actually be a drawer, but it looks like it’s made the same way. There are joints where the bottom meets the sides and liquid will eventually find its way through if there was any rip or imperfection in lining (which would have to be put up the sides as well). I think you’d be better spending the money on something specifically for animals.
It would be better, and likely cheaper, to add a pen to the commercial cage you will already have.

C & c cages would probably be more versatile, easier & cheaper, but if u wanted to use the box above it might be worth putting wide, white insulation tape across the inside corners & inside bottom edges, this would seal the edges from liquids seeping in.
Then put a flooring,lino remnant,liner or correx on top that goes a little way up the edges to also protect the wooden panels underneath from liquids?

Good luck with what you decide :tu:
X

Back