• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is there anything that can cause bald patches but the skin is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my Lola has bald patches on her sides and belly :(

Her skin is fine though and no visible signs of any parasites or fungal infection. My vet doesn't know what it could be.

The hair looks chewed and she has been known for barbering, also they had this hay they didn't like for about a week, while I waiting for my hay delivery, so I think she might have barbered. But they've had nice hay for the past few days now so hopefully it grows back . . .

But some of the skin is just bald, do barbering pigs ever just pull out whole bits of hair too?

I think I'll get her a spot on and some maleseb shampoo too, just to cover everything. But it's just so weird, the skin looks perfect but she's lost quite a lot of hair.

And the other guinea pigs are fine. Poor Lola, she has barbered herself and another pig before though, but never resulting in bald patches

Our Peppa has this frequently, the vet says she has issues :{ as in if she's put near another g/p she attacks herself but if she's away from any g/p's she goes withdrawn and won't eat.....it's a no win situation.
just when I thought I was getting somewhere as I'd managed to re-indroduce her back to the others and within a week she's nearly bald across her back.
None of the others are hurting her or chewing her fur, she seems to be getting stressed and it's coming out.
She's been checked by the vet on numerous occassions and she has nothing wrong with her, she isn't off her food, veg or water, she isn't withdrawn, she isn't tired or staying in one place it's just very confusing.

Aw your poor pig :(

My friend suggested it could be stress too. She doesn't seem stressed but I guess you can't tell too much

On the flqanks or sides could be an indication of a hormone issue such as ovarian cysts/an imbalance of some kind.

Whiskey had this and Noodles now has it, the skin is literally bald where it comes away, not unlike a skinny pig.

I would go and see a cavy savvy vet - my old un cavy savvy vet misdiagnosed mites for quite some time mallethead

mine did a skin sample I think it called a scraping ? to test for creepy crawlies (yuk).
She only 6 1/2mths old and she's had this since she was about 2 1/2 months old, she fought with another girl piggy (nothing very serious just a scuffle) and since then whenever she's near another piggy she freaks out but then she gets poorly and withdrawn when she's on her own :{.

Thanks guys :)

I don't think it's hormonal, because some of the hair is chewed away, not just bald.

My vet doesn't do skin scrapings I don't think, so I'd have to go to another vet (no cavy savvy vets around either) so I think I'll give her a spot on just in case, bath her in anti-fungal/anti-bacterial shampoo, and if nothing helps then I'll bring her to another vet soon.

As others have said it could be ovarian cysts as I believe piggies are also known to chew/pull hair out when they suffer from this. You could try hormone therapy to see if this helps at all? I don't think it has any negative side effects, though if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Anyway it's something to discuss with your vet if you decide to take her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back