• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this a bite mark?

Nfrye

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got a New Guinea pig and he seemed to be getting along really well and I went to look at the new smaller one and saw he had a scab on his nose. Is this a bite mark and should I separate them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 20
It looks like it may be mites as that's what Dennis's nose looked like when he had mites. A vet visit is in order to get a proper diagnosis. It could be anything. We are not allowed to diagnose from a photo so please don't try any home treatment on it as this could make the matter much worse. It may also be fungal. Only vet will be able to give you a definitive answer. Let us know what the vet says.

It looks like it may be mites as that's what Dennis's nose looked like when he had mites. A vet visit is in order to get a proper diagnosis. It could be anything. We are not allowed to diagnose from a photo so please don't try any home treatment on it as this could make the matter much worse. It may also be fungal. Only vet will be able to give you a definitive answer. Let us know what the vet says.
If this is fungal or mites can it be harmful to the pig

It's uncomfortable and it can be harmful if left untreated. You really do need to see a vet for the correct treatment for your guinea pig.

If this is fungal or mites can it be harmful to the pig

Yes, the reason why there are scabs is because your piggy is in discomfort and scratching themselves until they bleed. If it is ringworm (a common type of fungal) then it is highly contagious cross species which means any piggies in with them may catch it, as can you and anyone else that handles the piggy. This also then means the infection can be passed to other household pets so strict hygiene rules should be followed to prevent it getting out of hand

Please get him to a vet to treat it before it spreadas any further. It looks very much like fungal.

Yes, the reason why there are scabs is because your piggy is in discomfort and scratching themselves until they bleed. If it is ringworm (a common type of fungal) then it is highly contagious cross species which means any piggies in with them may catch it, as can you and anyone else that handles the piggy. This also then means the infection can be passed to other household pets so strict hygiene rules should be followed to prevent it getting out of hand
If this is contagious should I separate the pig from his cagemate

So the vet said that it was ringworm and I got some medication for it

If this is contagious should I separate the pig from his cagemate

Your other piggy has already been exposed so I personally wouldn't as separation can just cause added stress for them both

Back