Is this dominance behaviour in sows?

Neuromancer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two one and a half year old sows which I got as 'bin ends' at a few months old and have been together ever since. They have always bickered with each other but never actually fought just rumbled a lot and butted a little when they get in each others way. Just recently they have rumbled whenever they see each other and refuse to be anywhere near each other unless food is involved. Toffee, who used to be the more dominant of the two now usually runs away but sometime tries to climb on Luna's head with her front legs, in a more assertive than aggressive way while rumbling. Luna just swats Toffee away until she runs off. They live in a double storey 5ft hutch in their own shed but are outside on the lawn whenever the weather is suitable or inside on the carpet in winter. They do not display this behaviour so much when outside of the hutch but, especially after a few days without lawn time, it's almost constant in the hutch.

I've kept piggies before but never seen consistent behaviour like this. Is this normal territorial/dominance behaviour in sows or just that its been hot and they are uncomfortable? I've heard it's typical boar behaviour but I've never kept boars.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score