• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Itchy feet? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty1

Hey guys
My two month old female guinea pig Bubble has just started behaving really strange. She has been out all day with her sister Squeak. We put her away about 10 minutes ago and went out to start putting the others back. When we came back in she was throwing her bedding around and nibbling at her hind right leg. When I picked her up she seemed to struggle and really want to get at her foot. When we put her back she did it again, throwing her bedding round with her back leg and nibbling at it. I gave it a wipe down but she still did the same thing. My partner thought she may have been stung by something so I rubbed her foot with a dock leaf in case she was stung by a stray nettle. She still continued to behave this way though as time has passed she seems to have relaxed a little. Her sister started doing it a bit also but not as severely. Anyone have any ideas? She looks really uncomfortable right now and I don't like seeing her like this. There wasn't anything in the run to suggest that she may have been stung by nettles or have had a reaction to any plants as theres only grass in the run. Could she have been stung by a bee or wasp? There have been a few flying round of late. Any ideas? Need help!

She might have mites. Or possible something has stung her :( What bedding is she on?

She's only just started itching. She's been on the same bedding since day one. She is on wood shavings. I was thinking about putting some hay down for her to see if that will help her. I'm going back to see her shortly to see if she is still doing it :(

Because it's got warmer she might have developed an allergy or maybe even stepped on a bit that was sticking out wrong and it caught her?

Other than that, possibly mites

Misty1 said:
She's only just started itching. She's been on the same bedding since day one. She is on wood shavings. I was thinking about putting some hay down for her to see if that will help her. I'm going back to see her shortly to see if she is still doing it :(

She may have very sore feet
Our piggies started to get sore feet them we put hay on top of the bedding.
PLUS we use megasorb now, saves money too and its very absorbent, you could get it from a local farm that has horses as it is horse bedding.

Try putting vaseline on her feet. And hay on the shavings, and i would check her into the vets for a little check up asap ;) O0 Hope i helped
I'm not sure about the bee or wasp thing. And even if I was I wouldn't know if human treatment for stings would be ok for guinea pigs.

Great ideas guys what I don't understand is why she has suddenly started doing it for no reason. She has only just been cleaned (yesterday) fully and she has been out all day. As soon as we put her back she started doing it. Was so strange! I'm going back out in 5 minutes. Watch this space! ;D

Do her feet look red instead of pink? sounds like the moist grass in the run was more comfy than the shavings for them :) try putting some hay over the top and see if that makes a difference ;)

She appears to have stopped now though her feet are a little red. Been watching her for past 10 minutes and she has stopped throwing her bedding around and has stopped nibbling at it. Seems back to normal now though her foot does look a little sore. I've put some hay in their hutch so I hope that should make her feel a little more comfortable. Its interesting about the wet grass though. I never really thought of that! Think I should let the grass dry off a little better before putting them out next time. Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll take her for a check up at the vets tomorrow :D:D

I meant that the grass was soft on the feet not wet or damp on the feet. Shavings are very drying I do not use shavings for our piggies anymore. My Hands were awfully dry since I have been using megazorb my hands are lovely again, One of my piggies had sore looking feet even though I put hay over the shavings.

Misty1 said:
She appears to have stopped now though her feet are a little red. Been watching her for past 10 minutes and she has stopped throwing her bedding around and has stopped nibbling at it. Seems back to normal now though her foot does look a little sore. I've put some hay in their hutch so I hope that should make her feel a little more comfortable. Its interesting about the wet grass though. I never really thought of that! Think I should let the grass dry off a little better before putting them out next time. Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll take her for a check up at the vets tomorrow :D:D

Have you got any vaseline to put on her feet, that could sooth and cool it for her, it would make her feel even more better!
Yeah a good check up at the vets sounds the right idea to me :D

keep an eye on her foot in case its the start of bumble foot i lost my wondeful Dobby to this awlful thing a few months ago ( my avatar pic) and maybe get some GG soothing gel for your medical box, and I never use wood shaving just newspaper and meadow hay some say woodshavings dries the feet and skin out

I am pretty sure it is not the shavings. I would take her to the vets to have her checkout, ruling out mites is the first thing. If mites are ruled out she may have been stung or had an allergic reaction to something or it may be something else, such as Michellemuffin has said the start of bumblefoot. I wouldn't put anything on her foot, unless the vet has instructed you to do so over the phone. Vets is a must, the earlier you catch things the quicker the recovery process. Hope this helps and makes sense. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back