• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I've Stopped Smoking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well i had my last cigarette at approx 4.30am Saturday morning & haven't smoked one since. I know it's early days & the better my breathing is getting the more i seem to be craving & arguing with myself that i DON'T want one.

I'm not using any patches or inhalators. I stopped, not because i wanted to, because i wasn't enjoying 'them anymore due to having pneumonia & pleurisy ::)

I'd appreciate any tips anyone's got on STAYING stopped :)

Niki x

Well done! All I can say is take one day at a time. If you tend to smoke when you go out, say for a drink, just dont go out or go to a smoke free pub. Treat your self at the weekend! I have stopped a couple of times but then started again >:( So I know how hard it is. Keep up the good work!

My mum gave it up yesterday. I kept asking her to but she said she will when I get better but I don't think that'll be for awhile so on Sunday she said she would stop on Monday :D My mum stopped for 3 years before without using anything and she just got a bag of mints and ate them everytime she felt like a cigarette.
Now I just need to get my dad to stop :)
Well done tho ;D

Well done! I usually recommend people use the gum or lozenge but your doing well without them. We have lots of leaflets about going cold turkey if you want tips pop into your local chemist or speak to the pharmasist i know ours is really helpful. x

Well done.

If you want an incentive, think of my father - disgnosed last christmas with cancer of the larynx caused by 40 years of smoking. He had two operations and his voice is still very weak.

Don't want to frighten you, but it's food for thought.

Huge congrats though - I have been off drink for just over 4 years and it's a bloody nightmare!

Well done! and you went cold turkey too. That's fab! I used Zyban to give up I wasn't brave like you. I found that cross stitching helped me a lot.

If you are finding cold turkey hard get some gum, even if you just have a couple of pieces a day at your most stressful times, if sooooo helps.

Mints didn;t help me as I associated mint with smoking, ie teeth brushing etc, couldn't even have mint nicotine gum, had to have the fruity flavour.

Smoke free pubs won't help, not drinking alcohol will :)

I stopped 6 months ago on a spur of the moment decision, went out for a friends 40th, drank heaps smoked heaps, got heaps of glares cos it was a gym night out lol and next morning had a sore chest

Am finding it hard at the mo, cravings have returned :( And i've put on a stone, although only half a stone was smoking related.

Good luck with it Niki :-*

I wish I knew Deb, I eat and think ooh I want a fag, I clean the kitchen, all ther old trigger factors. even things like just opening a packet for hubby I can't do it. or knocking the ash off for him when i'm near the ashtray and he's not :(

And then there's the weight issue, a girl at the gym put on 2 stone, she's started smoking again and she's lost 1 stone.

It would be sooo easy for me to light one up again, thought it got easier LOL

kellyandpiggies said:
Oh dear Bev! Eat choccie :D

That's where the weights come from :o and Millies cookies, which by the way Greggs have just started a copy which is divine :D

And biscuits, bread pudding, cheesecake etc etc

The cravings stay with you forever apparently, you just get better at ignoring them.

When you look at things like that it really makes you want to go back to it doesn't it? I want to start again cos Steve is getting more and more unhealthy with the smoking and I don't want to be a widow. I figure if I start again, I'll go first cos I've got asthma ;D

Hey, none of this talk of going back.

I lost my Grandad to lung cancer through smoking, my Nan of COPD and my Aunt was close to dying because of the same thing. She has now stopped! :'( :'(

:-* :-* My friends :-* :-*

Same with my father as I said earlier. He's been off since Jan now.

But cravings are stronger than logic, for every reason you give us to stay stopped we''ll give you two in favour of starting again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back