• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ivomec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just wondered for some of you that use it, how and where do you prefer to give it to your pigs? I know of people giving it into mouths, by injection and also putting it onto their skin.

I prefer to put it in their mouths, but it's not always possible so then it goes on their skin, on the back of their neck. I would be willing to inject, but it's getting hold of needles. I can get plenty of syringes!

xx Kelly xx

up-to-date info!

I never actually checked the syringes til just now, and the chemist actually gave me 1ml insulin syringes with needles! I guess cos they all know me and know that I use injectable insulin is why they let me buy them! Just surprised as they've never let me have them before!

If you're not experienced then forget giving Ivomec by injection, you can do real damage if you get it wrong and using Ivomec as a dab-on treatment is not very effective. Give it orally using a 1ml syringe, which you can buy from most chemists for less then a quid. If you want to know what dosage to give then drop me an email and I explain it for you.

Hi Phil - It's Kelly!

I know how to give by injection thanx, just wondered how others give it to piggies. But did say I prefered to give it them orally.

mine always have it on the back of the neck, seems to work fine for me and has done for years

6 months when I remember! Never had a bad bout of it in years. Well Jin did once, due to his fall and being paralysed. It knocked him for six, so his whole immune system was down!

But other than that, I've not had to use it any more.

I prefer to put it on their necks. I've tried orally but it must taste foul. You're brave to do the injections Kelly, I don't think any amount of training would give me the nerve to do that.

I always do mine sept and march, begining of autumn and begining of spring so I never forget , I've never had any problems so far in all the years of having pigs and using Ivomec the same way on the neck, I always stick to proven ways despite changing of ideas,

I put it on the bald patch behind an ear, then I know it has gone on the skin and not just in the hair like it did before. My pigs are normally ok but I have had the odd few who were really allergic to the mites (its the droppings they are allergic to) and scratched themselves raw.

Kat

DebbieR said:
I prefer to put it on their necks. I've tried orally but it must taste foul. You're brave to do the injections Kelly, I don't think any amount of training would give me the nerve to do that.

I've done a couple in the past, but I prefer not give it them by injection. Hearing them squeal makes me sad. I put it on their necks these days.

I managed to take the needles off the syringes! I managed to cut them off with my insulin-needle cutter, then got the rest of the needle!

Everyone's had a manicure/pedicure and had ivomec!

Verity - Ivomec is for treatment and prevention of mites and parasites. Some also act as a wormer

Right thats what i thought but i didnt wanna be wrong, Rubys on that at the moment but there is no way I'm sticking needles in her! lol x

It's not something anyone can just do though. You have to know where to inject and how far in with the needles you can go.

Giving Ivomec orally or on the neck is much easier!

Ruby is staying with Carla the women who owns her for a bit so aht they treat her and then we get her when shes better which is a relief lol

Nah wont be long, My nan is so excited! Shes been gettin all of Peter Gurneys books out! and wants me to build her a C&C cage I'm gonna be so stressed trying to do that! x

LOL.. Ruby will be great for your Nan! Have you looked at the cages people have made on the forum? They are really great and am sure everyone will help if you ever get stuck!

We'll be making one when my dad gets the shed sorted.

I need the plastic then me and my uncle Chaz will set to work! lol she will be living on my nans table so that my nan can always see her and fuss her she gets more excited everyday! at least now i can release harry from the safe lol she wants him hehe x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back