Jumpy pig getting bold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abnoba

Reaction score
My himi Milka was always a very shy and jumpy pig. everyones eating, you walk past the cage - she dashes into the next house.
the rest of the piggies would either continue eating, or at the worst, look up. she would wait a minute before coming out of the house again. ::)

hard to catch when in the run, impossible to stroke, not eating or moving when on our lap. She was always scared.

Marvin was the boldest, tamest and most active piggy of our group. Now that he is gone, she is the oldest, and since he wasnt with them anymore (he had been sitting seperate for a week) her behaviour completely changed.

She comes and picks up lettuce and cucumber out of our hand (still with alot of caution, but she does it), and she is quite forceful to our little mabel. Stealing her food, pushing her aside, nibbling our fingers...

she is getting really active and bold.

Now I am wondering, is that her trying to show Mabel that she is now boss? But wouldnt that only mean that she has to be a bit more bossy towards MABEL, why is her behaviour towards humans changing aswell? Or is it just that if her behaviour changes in one way, it changes completely, so that there isnt one behaviour type towards their own kind and a different one towards the owner?

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Ulrike
I definitely think she's showing Mabel she's boss, she was next in line in the pecking order.
As for her behaviour with you, this is only my guess, maybe she's "come into her own" so to speak & with her new position she's become more confident :)

Status
Not open for further replies.